Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trutz
Advocate III
Advocate III

Timeline slicer for custom date hierarchy

Hi all,

I have created a custom date hierarchy to always allocate full weeks to a month (basically the week goes to the month into which the 4+ days fall, similar to ISOWeek for the start of the year).

Is there an option to have a timeline slicer for that?

The standard one from AppSource doesn't work with custom hierarchies. The standard hierarchical slicer always works vertical instead of horizontal like the timeline slicer and doesn't provide the same ease of multi-select.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Week 14 is not correctly allocatedWeek 14 is not correctly allocatedWeek 53 doesn't exist in 2019Week 53 doesn't exist in 2019

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trutz,

Nope, timeline slicer does not support custom structure date hierarchy. Its date period is analyzed and generated from your date fields. (year, month, day hierarchy, customize fields not recognized by timeline slicer)
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for your reply. I already noticed that the standard timeline slicer does not help.

But do you have any suggestions how to provide a good user experience for slicing on custom date hierarchies in the report?

Thanks in advance,

Trutz 

HI @trutz,

Maybe you can contact to power bi custom visual team to add support with your requirement or refer the timeline slicer to manually create a custom visual. (I check on appsource but not found nay custom visual suitable for your requirement)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft 

Thanks again for your help.

I added an enhancement/issue item to the GitHub repository: https://github.com/microsoft/powerbi-visuals-timeline/issues/74

Hopefully this is the right place to address this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.