Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rajbunny

Timeline showing start date, end date and current date per project/initiative

Hi All - I am relatively new to power BI so there may already be a solution to my problem. I am trying to create a visualisation that looks like this

PowerBI timeline.jpg

from the below data source.  where the timeline above would be dependent on the initiative selected below.

TimelineStartTimeline EndInitiatives
01-Aug-1731-Aug-17Intiative 1
02-Aug-1701-Oct-17Intiative 2
03-Aug-1701-Nov-17Intiative 3
04-Aug-1702-Dec-17Intiative 4
15-Aug-1712-Jan-18Intiative 5
06-Aug-1702-Feb-18Intiative 6
07-Aug-1706-Sep-17Intiative 7
28-Aug-1727-Oct-17Intiative 8
01-Sep-1730-Nov-17Intiative 9
10-Sep-1708-Jan-18Intiative 10
21-Aug-1718-Jan-18Intiative 11
22-Aug-1718-Feb-18Intiative 12
02-Oct-1701-Nov-17Intiative 13
04-Oct-1703-Dec-17Intiative 14
04-Oct-1702-Jan-18Intiative 15
05-Oct-1702-Feb-18Intiative 16
08-Oct-1707-Mar-18Intiative 17
14-Oct-1712-Apr-18Intiative 18
14-Oct-1713-Nov-17Intiative 19
14-Oct-1713-Dec-17Intiative 20
16-Oct-1714-Jan-18Intiative 21
14-Oct-1711-Feb-18Intiative 22

Ive already wasted several days trying to figure this one out - for some reason I am unable to understand these timeline visualisations and how the source data needs to look in order to create the visualisation.

Would much appreciate if someone could point out a visualisation i could use and advise how the source data should look in order to get the visualisation to work. 

3 REPLIES 3
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Rajbunny maybe its better to discuss what your objective is?  are you wanting to slice by month?   which visual are you using because there are several that use time, is the the timeline storyteller?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

My objective is to achieve a visualisation that looks like this image (which is manually created in the most hateful powerpoint) 

PowerBI timeline.jpg

It shows a timeline in months, positions a start and end indicatior on the time line as well as today's date. Another thing I have to do is change the colour of the arrow based on wether the project is on track or delayed (red, amber, green) 

Im trying to use a Gantt chart now - I WAS having issues with duration showing as 1 day regardless (managed to fix duration with a datediff converstion - this requirement is not made clear in the video guide). 

I am now struggling with the % complete (showing as 100% for all initiatives, regardless -so I assume once again the data needs to be converted from a percentage to a decimal value). Also, once I have  figured out how the data must look to for a visualisation to show anything at all,  I still have to learn how to customise the look and feel as well as determine how i can set start and end dates for both the timeline (jul 17-jul18)  start and end dates for the selected initiative (currently only shows the latter) - it will be devastating to learn in the end that it can not create the visualisation I am after.  First prise would be a recommendation to use a custom visualisation that someone knows will do the job along with advice on how the source data should look (to avoid more time waste).  Second prise is advice on how to set up the source data to get the Gantt custom visualisation to get as close to expected as possible

@Rajbunny what about this one?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/what-story-does-your-timeline-tell-introducing-the-timeline...

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.