Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vasher
Helper I
Helper I

Timeline in PowerBI with category and sub-category

I want to create a simple timeline that has a category and sub-category field on the y-axis (as swimlanes), a date feild on the x-axis and events represented by bubbles along the timeline. It's easy to create in Tableau using the available gantt chart visual (image attached). However, I'm unable to create it in PowerBI using the pre-installed visualisations. I tried using the custom visual called as timeline but that didn't help either as it's very limited in scope and I can't seem to change things like adding a sub-category or representing events as bubbles instead of bars. Is it possible to create a chart similar to the attached image in PowerBI? Thanks!Sample Tableau Timeline.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@vasher 

lkalawski_0-1598442053581.png

Sth like this.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@vasher , I doubt any visual like this. Can you check a custom visual on the app source? Matrix with conditional formatting can be a option.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?product=power-bi-visuals

@amitchandak  I tried the custom visuals from appsource..the only one that came close to what I needed was "as timeline" but, as mentioned in my post, it has a few limitations due to which I'm unable to achieve the intended results.

lkalawski
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @vasher 

You can try to use matrix visual to do this and instead of value you can use conditional formatting with some icons (circle points) but timeline with Year you will have on the TOP. 

Please send me sample data and I can prepare for you some example.

@lkalawski Thanks for looking into this. I've included some sample data below.

Start DateCategorySub-categoryEventSource / DocIdAdditional comments
09/10/2018Category ASubCategory AThis is the first event that happened on 9-Oct-18www.google.comMemo published
12/10/2018Category ASubCategory AThe government publishes a technical noticewww.bbc.comMemo updated
17/10/2019Category ASubCategory BThe Council meets to discuss the issue Memo not updated
29/10/2018Category ASubCategory BD Day Memo updated
13/11/2018Category ASubCategory BDebate held  
14/11/2018Category ASubCategory CThe Agreement was withdrawn  
15/11/2018Category BSubCategory DSomething interesting happened this day and a meeting was heldwww.apple.com 
25/11/2018Category BSubCategory DOne of the unimportant events in 2018  
26/11/2018Category BSubCategory DThe NGO decided to go global Memo updated

Hi @vasher

I can do something like this:

lkalawski_0-1598435238550.png

And also we can adjust your requirements (colors, font, sizes, icon, etc.).

Hi @lkalawski this looks like a potential solution! Is it possible to assign the colors based on the "category" field and make it look close to the screenshot I posted?  

@vasher 

lkalawski_0-1598442053581.png

Sth like this.

@lkalawski this looks great! Can you provide the pbix file to me please?

Sure, please find the link:
https://file.io/XsNfD0qawdBn

This is just a draft and quick work. You have to adapt it to your requirements and additionally you can create a measure that will return a color code value depending on the category.
If you have any questions, please write. 

Hi @lkalawski Thanks for the link and sorry for the late reply. I tried the link you posted but I get a 404 error. Is a copy-paste error or could it be that the link has expired?

Hi @vasher,
Unfortunately, the link has expired. I will try to prepared for you the new file but it will be probably tomorrow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.