Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kattlees
Post Patron
Post Patron

Timeline Visual to Show Usage During the Day

I would really like to find a way to show the usage of a Room during the day.

My table has

Room     Start Time     End Time     Date

1              07:00            07:40             4-6-18

1              08:00            08:45            4-6-18

1              10:25            11:00            4-6-18

2             07:15            09:20             4-6-18

2              09:30            11:00            4-6-18

I would love the visual to end up like this:  Please tell me there is something I can do to get this.

Timelne.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@kattlees

It seems that the "as Timeline" custom visual gets close to what you want.

I created a dummy pbix with your sample data here

image.png

I can't say I'm completely happy with the formatting options though - I had to create a dummy column to colour the bars by room.

There are a couple of Gantt custom visuals available as well that you could play around with (Gantt and Gantt Chart By MAQ Software).

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@kattlees

It seems that the "as Timeline" custom visual gets close to what you want.

I created a dummy pbix with your sample data here

image.png

I can't say I'm completely happy with the formatting options though - I had to create a dummy column to colour the bars by room.

There are a couple of Gantt custom visuals available as well that you could play around with (Gantt and Gantt Chart By MAQ Software).

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Hi @OwenAuger I could not find "As Timeline" Visual. Can you provide me with the .pbiviz file.

It looks like it's no longer in AppSource 😞

It looks like a copy of the PBIVIZ is available linked from this post.

Specifically in this SharePoint Online folder:

https://pragmaticworksonline.sharepoint.com/:f:/s/FileShare/Ejn3BZIKy-NHk0DHsQUqT5QBx8WaO5HCyu0Qo7pW...

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Your solution fit very well for what I am pretending to do, thanks! 

Some values, in my case, the start time of a activity is in a day and it finish in the next day. In that way the chart does not keep in a 24h interval that I want. Any tips? I would like to transfer the hours from the next day in the chart to the same hours im the current day.

Hi @LeoM_  I could not find "As Timeline" Visual. Can you provide me with the .pbiviz file.

@OwenAuger  hello Sir, is there any chance to get a copy of your file for this topic?

Thank you in advance,

Hello @kady 

The Dropbox link appears to still be working, but I have edited my post to include a traditional attachment of the same file.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have downloaded the PBIX, I see you have added a dummy column, but I am not able to find the logic you have written to colors the bars based on room number? 

Could you please help me?

Is there a way to set the start time to like 6:30AM instead of the midnight?

Your solution was perfect. I didn't have my time fields as time -they were set to text for some reason.

That's good news 🙂

For me, the time axis was starting at 7:00 (start time of first event), so not sure why you may have been getting midnight.

I tried creating a dummy event with zero duration starting at 6:30 am, and this forces the time axis to start at 6:30.

See same Dropbox link for updated file.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

I found the timeline issue and it is fixed. Is there any way to get labels in the bar colors?

Thanks for sharing about this great custom visual.  I have a similar problem to solve but I wasn't sure if this visual could achieve the following requirement - 

I would like to show by "continuous" timeline on x-axis of a KPI metric, which has StartTime + EndTime attributes in the dataset.  The tricky part is how to allocate the count across the timeline.  Each record below is 1 count.

ie 

StartTime                    EndTime

2018-01-01 08:15:51  2018-01-01 10:45:31

2018-01-01 09:45:51  2018-01-01 10:15:31

2018-01-01 13:24:51  2018-01-01 17:05:31

2018-01-01 15:17:51  2018-01-01 18:42:31

2018-01-01 07:15:51  2018-01-01 11:58:31

Final Result - a timeline chart that shows at any given time, the count.  For example, at 10 am sharp, the count should be 3 (1st, 2nd, and 5th records above).

I'm not sure which visualization provides the best approach for this? 

Can any of you help point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

The visual I used would not work for this but I did something similiar for another project and just used a bar graph.  I rounded the times to the nearest 15 minute increment.

I had to create a table with all of the time values it could be, then created a summary table of other data.

Do you mind sharing your solution how to round when there's a StartTime & EndTime?

This one rounds down so 3:21 becomes 3:00

TimeIn = IF(MINUTE('Pre Op Times'[Time In])<30,TIME(HOUR('Pre Op Times'[Time In]),0,0),TIME(HOUR('Pre Op Times'[Time In]),30,0))

This one rounds up so 3:21 becomes 3:30

TimeOut = if(MINUTE('Pre Op Times'[Time Out])>30,TIME(HOUR('Pre Op Times'[Time Out]),59,0)+TIME(0,1,0),TIME(HOUR('Pre Op Times'[Time Out]),30,0))

But the goal is not just bucket StartTime & EndTime, the goal is associate count for all times in between StartTime & EndTime.  I mentioned it in my example below - 

StartTime                    EndTime

2018-01-01 08:15:51  2018-01-01 10:45:31

2018-01-01 09:45:51  2018-01-01 10:15:31

2018-01-01 13:24:51  2018-01-01 17:05:31

2018-01-01 15:17:51  2018-01-01 18:42:31

2018-01-01 07:15:51  2018-01-01 11:58:31

Final Result - a timeline chart that shows at any given time, the count.  For example, at 10 am sharp, the count should be 3 (1st, 2nd, and 5th records above).

I'm not sure which visualization provides the best approach for this? 

Thanks!

I'm sorry but I am not the one to help. I am so new to Power BI that I ask for help almost daily. I would suggest starting a new thread. There are so many knowledgeable people on here that could help you.

I just thought this thread had many similar ingredients that could help me find a great visual for my case.

I did start a new thread below on 8/18, but haven't received a response/solution yet.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Which-visualization-should-I-use-to-show-a-KPI-with-StartTi...

I'm wondering if there are other visuals that could in-take StartTime & EndTime and provides a count?

I am not sure

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.