Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

umerqadir
Frequent Visitor

Timeline Slicer issue

I am having a strange problem with the timeline slicer. when I select a date range and later on clicking on some visual the timeline slicer range selection disappears to a select all on the visual. However the selected data range is still selected.

There is no interaction with any visual on the timeline, but it keeps happening. I am unable to understand why.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@pvarley@umerqadir, the Timeline Slicer control should work correct in the latest version. Please go to Visuals Gallery to get it. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
ShaunGear

This really does not seem fixed. I used years and months only with version 2.4.0 of the Timeline and am experiencing the same issue. I made sure there were no interactions. Previous posts have given screenshots that describe exactly what I am experiencing. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi umerqadir,

Could you please describe more details about your scenario? We need to know that what version of Power BI Desktop you use and in which type of visualizations you get the timeline slicer issue. We will appreciate it if you post a screenshot.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia, I am facing the problem in all my reports. So here is what happens. I select a period on the timeline and it gets selcted fine, visuals supposed to be filtrered it by are filtered corrrectly. But, when I cross highlight or click on the other visual that is set to not filter/interact with the timeline. The date selection is not impacted however the selected cells on the timeline are not showing anymore and all the cells are shown as selected. The time selection impact on all other visuals still remains

No Interactions Feb to Mar Selected.JPGTimeline visual selected grids update selection is not impacted though.JPG

Time selection Feb to Mar on months

Cross Highligt the data bar on antoher visual, set to not interact with the timeline

The selected cells are not displayed anymore, the time selection is not effected though

I see the same problem in Power BI Desktop Version 2.34.4372.501 64-bit (April 2016).

Here are the steps I can use to reproduce the problem:

1. Begin with a report that has a Stacked Bar Chart, a Timeline slicer and several Chicklet slicers
  2. Select a value on one of the Chicklet slicers
  3. Select the year 2015 on the Timeline
  4. Unselect the value from step 2 on the Chicket slicer
  5. Observe that the Timeline slicer changes to select all dates

On Step 5, the bar chart sometimes changes to display data for all dates, and other times it continues to display just the 2015 data. 

1. Nothing selected1. Nothing selected2. Chicklet selected2. Chicklet selected3. 2015 selected on Timeline3. 2015 selected on Timeline4. Chicklet unselected - Timeline loses selection4. Chicklet unselected - Timeline loses selection

I would expect the Timeline to stay on 2015 when I change selections on the Chicklet slicers. This is the behavior in Excel PowerPivot. 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@pvarley@umerqadir, I can reproduce this issue that the timeline slicer resets to default when clicking on another part in another chart. I will report this issue internally and post back once I get any updates.

Thanks Vicky.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@pvarley@umerqadir, the issue you reported was confirmed by engineer in the 'Custom Visual' team. Thanks for reporting it. I will keep posting here once I get any further updates.

@pvarley@umerqadir, the Timeline Slicer control should work correct in the latest version. Please go to Visuals Gallery to get it. 

@Vicky_Song

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest version which is Timeline.1.3.21.0 version but it still doesn't work properly:

1. Picture one is with slider selecting May 2017 gives me 22.5 days available (which is incorrect

may1.PNG

2. Picture two I'm using the standard slicer and selecting May 2017 which returns the correct value of 2.5 days

may2.PNG

Please advice

Thank you

I have the same problems with timeline, this is not displaying the correct days of the week

Hi, I've tried the latest version,1.3.1, with latest version of power bi desktop and I still have the same issue!

Hi all!

The original issue is still reproducible in version 1.3.1, here is the scenario:

1) Select a couple of days in the timeline slicer.

2) Click/double click on a column in the Stacked Column Chart/Clustered Column Chart

Result: the couple of days selection is now turned into all days selection in the timeline slicer, even if I remove interactions between these visuals

This is really bothering some business people I communicate with and it would be wonderfull if a fix can be provided for this ASAP.

Let me know if you need any help with reproducing this. 

Thanks, James

Experiencing same issue here

Hi, I am using this latest Timeline slicer (Timeline1.3.1.pbiviz) in a report with Other Slicers and each time I change selection on the other slicers the Timeline is resetting to full range again.  This is only a recent problem for me, and downloading the latest Timeline has not fixed the problem.  The timeline slicer is not interactively linked and should hold the date range I have piced.  Thanks for your help

Awesome! Great turnaround time in getting this fixed!

Thanks for the update @Vicky_Song ,  look forward to updates/ getting this resolved.

Kind Regards,

Umer

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.