Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomascampbell

TimeChart in PowerBI? Is it possible?

I have created a chart like the following in Excel.  I would like to publish this type of data to a PowerBI Dashboard and then allow personnel in my company to see the data through that Dashboard.  I can't figure out how to get this chart to work in PowerBI.  I've seen other posts that talk about it too...but wanted to provide my context to see if someone can give me an idea how to do it.  We are attempting to promote PowerBI in our company and this would help.  Thanks.

GOAL:  Publish Batch Times from a system in a chart in PowerBI.

Datasource:  Azure SQL Server

Currently how it works in Excel:  Refresh the query against Azure SQL Server Table, Then the chart updates.

TimeChartInPowerBI.png

Raw Data if it helps.

Datetime
Format m/dd h:mm
Datetime
Format hh:mm:ss
DateTime
Format hh:mm:ss
DatetimeBatch Run TimeTarget
11/05 8:0000:02:3400:02:00
11/05 8:0400:01:3400:02:00
11/05 8:0600:01:4600:02:00
11/05 8:0900:02:5300:02:00
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
thomascampbell

Here's what I ended up doing.

I changed the time calculation to a decimal.  So 90 seconds becomes 1.5 minutes.  220 seconds becomes 3.67 s, etc.

Then I plotted the "minutes" as a decimal on the Y-axis.  This worked.  The value to it as well was that for multiple charts on the same report, I could control the y-axis more easily by just setting the lower and upper bounds by number. 

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
thomascampbell

Here's what I ended up doing.

I changed the time calculation to a decimal.  So 90 seconds becomes 1.5 minutes.  220 seconds becomes 3.67 s, etc.

Then I plotted the "minutes" as a decimal on the Y-axis.  This worked.  The value to it as well was that for multiple charts on the same report, I could control the y-axis more easily by just setting the lower and upper bounds by number. 

Thanks for your help!

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thomascampbell ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1604903539925.png

The'Line chart' can not plot time type data.

You need use a custom visual.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@thomascampbell , I doubt That in power bi you may not be able to plot time on y-axis. You may to convert that to duration

Do you mean that I should make the batch run times...numeric instead of time and plot that somehow?  That would work...but not ideal.  It's easy to do in Excel...why an issue in PowerBI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.