Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Time to integer, and vice versa

Hi all,

I have a report where I want a measure that returns the amount of seconds, to be converted to "HH:MM:SS". In the same report for another measure I want a "HH:MM:SS" column to be converted to the ammount of seconds in it as a integer. 

Best regards,

L.Meijdam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DAX0110
Resolver V
Resolver V

Seconds number to Time string:

=FORMAT( [seconds] / 60 / 60 /24, "hh:nn:ss" )

Time string to Seconds number:

=TIMEVALUE( [time str] ) * 24 * 60 * 60

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DAX0110
Resolver V
Resolver V

Seconds number to Time string:

=FORMAT( [seconds] / 60 / 60 /24, "hh:nn:ss" )

Time string to Seconds number:

=TIMEVALUE( [time str] ) * 24 * 60 * 60

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DAX0110,

The "string to seconds number" is working like expected thankyou very much!

The other calculation is giving me a error, although I don't think the formula is incorrect. I want a calculated column that is in "Whole number" format to change the amount of seconds to a time value. But when I use your formula it returns: Cannot convert value '' of type Text to type Date. And I don't really understand why since it is in "Whole number" format.

My calculated columnMy calculated column

Best regards,

L.Meijdam

Mmm, that's interesting.  In my test workbook the Power Pivot "seconds" column is "decimal" type with "general" format.

If you feed the output column from "string to seconds number" into the "seconds number to string" formula, it should work (I did that to double check my formula).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DAX0110,

yes I tried that, that is returning the expected outcome. It just does'nt work when I insert my other calculated column.. Anyone have an idea how to fix this ?

Best Regards,

L.Meijdam

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at below blog which told about convert duration and time.

Aggregating Duration/Time

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How I fixed it in the end was to SUM my calculated column by creating a measure, and after that using the "Seconds string to time" formula provided by @DAX0110 on that measure.

I have read the article @v-shex-msft linked and I learned some new things for it !

Thankyou all 🙂

Best regards,

L.Meijdam

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.