Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GunnerJ
Post Patron
Post Patron

Time to complete a task. End of one to the end of another.

I have Tasks within a service order that have completion times. I'm needing to find the time between one completion time and the next tasks completion time. So the time between comp of Task A and the comp of Task B would be the time Task B took to complete. There are sequence numbers to help order things. 

Here's a sample of my data. In the calculation I'd need to only view one service order at a time, order the Task_Seq_Nbrs then find the time between the tasks using the time with a work_event_cd2 of "COMP". I know if has a start and stop CD but for this particular calculation that isn't correct. Only time I'd use start is if it was seq# 1 that didn't have a prior task to look for a "COMP".

In the sample below SEQ #2 took 2 seconds to complete (automated task).

Time between Completions.PNG

Any help would be appreciated and if I need to add anymore context please let me know!

Thanks!

Also, this code gives the time between the task's comp time and the start of the service order which actually gets sequence 1 correct but the rest wrong. The time between these values is correct but the totals are not. It returns the value 24 seconds for seq 1 and 26 seconds for sequence 2. The difference between those is 2 seconds which is correct. I just need to find a way to get it to look at the last COMP instead of start of the service order. 

Task Time =
CALCULATE (
DATEDIFF (
MIN ( Workflow1[BI_EVENT_DT_TM] ),
MAX ( Workflow1[BI_EVENT_DT_TM] ),
SECOND
),
FILTER (
ALL ( Workflow1 ),
Workflow1[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] = EARLIER ( Workflow1[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] )
&& Workflow1[BI_SO_NBR] = EARLIER ( Workflow1[BI_SO_NBR] )
&& Workflow1[BI_TASK_CD] = EARLIER ( Workflow1[BI_TASK_CD] )
&& Workflow1[BI_WORK_EVENT_CD] = "COMP"
)
)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@GunnerJ as discussed over the call, you can add following measure and/or column and test it in your model

Measure

Individual Task Time = 
VAR __currentSequenceNumber = SELECTEDVALUE(  Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] ) --current sequence number
VAR __previousSequenceNumber = __currentSequenceNumber - 1
VAR __currentSequenceTaskTime = SELECTEDVALUE( Workflow[Task Time] )
VAR __previousSequenceTaskTime = 
CALCULATE ( 
    MAX ( Workflow[Task Time] ), 
    ALLEXCEPT ( Workflow, Workflow[BI_SO_NBR] ),
    Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] = __previousSequenceNumber
)
VAR __actualTime =
IF ( 
    __currentSequenceNumber = 1, 
    __currentSequenceTaskTime, 
    __currentSequenceTaskTime - __previousSequenceTaskTime
)
RETURN
__currentSequenceNumber

Column

Individual Task Time Col = 
Workflow[Task Time] - 
CALCULATE ( 
    Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] < EARLIER ( Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@GunnerJ 

You may take a look at the following post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Finding-the-previos-occurrence-within-same-table-based-on-o...

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft 

I can see the similarity of the two posts but I'm having trouble modifying to meet my exact requirements. Oddly enough the EARLIER function won't work for me when I write it out. I get a message that it can't find the SEQ Number column. Any tips on what I could modify?

@GunnerJ as discussed over the call, you can add following measure and/or column and test it in your model

Measure

Individual Task Time = 
VAR __currentSequenceNumber = SELECTEDVALUE(  Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] ) --current sequence number
VAR __previousSequenceNumber = __currentSequenceNumber - 1
VAR __currentSequenceTaskTime = SELECTEDVALUE( Workflow[Task Time] )
VAR __previousSequenceTaskTime = 
CALCULATE ( 
    Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] = __previousSequenceNumber
)
VAR __actualTime =
IF ( 
    __currentSequenceNumber = 1, 
    __currentSequenceTaskTime, 
    __currentSequenceTaskTime - __previousSequenceTaskTime
)
RETURN
__currentSequenceNumber

Column

Individual Task Time Col = 
Workflow[Task Time] - 
CALCULATE ( 
    Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] < EARLIER ( Workflow[BI_WRKFLW_TASK_SEQ_NBR] )
)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.