Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abloor
Helper IV
Helper IV

Time since last spend column

Hi,

I’m looking to create a report to show which of our clients are New, Lost or Retained.
New = spent in the last 13 months only
Lost= haven’t spent in the last 13 months
Retained = have spent in the last 13 months and greater than 13 months.

I’m thinking something like:
if Client last spend is less than 13 months and not greater than 13 months, then call it New Business.
If spend is greater than 13 month and not less than 13 months, then lost business.
If spend greater than 13 months and less than 13 months, then retained business.

Is this the best way to go around it, and how would you write the dax?

My data has multiple rows per client booking. Eg if a client made a booking to have various of our products delivered in Mar, Apr and May, then there would be a row for each month for each product type.
Not sure if I first need a separate column (or table?) that gives me a consolidated view of every month each client has spent?

Thanks very much
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Assuming the formula you had only need the date change

ClientRetention =
VAR _today = max('Date'[Date])
VAR max1 = CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Data'[Month]), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Data', 'Data'[ClientName] ) )
VAR min1 = CALCULATE ( MIN ('Data'[Month]), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Data', 'Data'[ClientName] ) )
RETURN
IF ( DATEDIFF ( max1, _today, MONTH ) > 13, "Lost",
IF ( DATEDIFF ( min1, _today, MONTH ) = 1, "New",
"Retained" )
)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abloor ,

Here is my sample data.

2-1.PNG

You need to create a new measure.

Status =
VAR max1 =
    CALCULATE ( MAX ( test[Date] ), ALLEXCEPT ( test, test[CustomID] ) )
VAR min1 =
    CALCULATE ( MIN ( test[Date] ), ALLEXCEPT ( test, test[CustomID] ) )
RETURN
    IF (
        DATEDIFF ( max1, TODAY (), MONTH ) > 13,
        "Lost",
        IF ( DATEDIFF ( min1, TODAY (), MONTH ) <= 13, "New", "Retained" )
    )

Here is the result.
2-2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks @v-eachen-msft I think that might be working to some degree, but I need some help tweaking it please.   Can you please advise me how to get it based on x months from slicer date, not x months from today?  We may need to get this information retrospectively, not always based on what it is on day of report usage.

Also I made an error in my inital post.  A  'New' client is actually one that has spent in the chosen slicer month, but NOT in the 12 prior months.  e.g. they have spent in Aug 2019, but not Aug18-Jul19. How would I alter the line regarding a new client below to make this work?

Here is my code

ClientRetention =
VAR max1 = CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Data'[Month]), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Data', 'Data'[ClientName] ) )
VAR min1 = CALCULATE ( MIN ('Data'[Month]), ALLEXCEPT ( 'Data', 'Data'[ClientName] ) )
RETURN
IF ( DATEDIFF ( max1, TODAY (), MONTH ) > 13, "Lost",
IF ( DATEDIFF ( min1, TODAY (), MONTH ) = 1, "New",
"Retained" )
)

Thank you very much 🙂

Will taking a max of slicer date and use in place of Today(), solve the purpose?

Where data[date] is the date of the slicer.

Thanks for your quick reply @amitchandak 

I'm only new to PBI and don't understand your solution.  Can you please explain it in simple terms for a newbie?

e.g. if I need to change the dax in my above post, what bit do I change? Do I need to create any new measures or calc columns?

Much appreciated!!

Assuming the formula you had only need the date change

ClientRetention =
RETURN
IF ( DATEDIFF ( max1, _today, MONTH ) > 13, "Lost",
IF ( DATEDIFF ( min1, _today, MONTH ) = 1, "New",
"Retained" )
)

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi,
daxpatterns.com has a pattern that I think will do well on what you are looking for:
https://www.daxpatterns.com/new-and-returning-customers/

regards,

S

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors