Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PbiConsult1
Frequent Visitor

Time of Days being summed in KPIs even when field is set to Not Summarize Modeling

I'm trying to build some KPIs. We want to plot some trends over time. The values are specific times of day that various software processes complete. I.E.

Process 1 4:05AM

Process 2 6:04PM

the idea is to plot the completion times for each date over time for weeks, months, years etc. to show trends

Power BI Desktop and up on the Report Server seem to be treating each time of day like a numeric value to be added up liked a column or row of numbers. So 6 different times on a particular day show up in the KPI as the quantity 6.  We've tried

the PowerKPI, PowerKPI Matrix, and the Dual KPI.  I did lots of posts about the not summarize setting not working in certain situations but this has more the look and feel of a bug or some nuance to a trend of a bunch of specific times of a day historically over weeks/months/years/.

So the data somes to us in Excel like this:

Process 1         Process 2           Process 3    ... Process 6

4:04 AM          5:06 PM              3:30 AM          7:30 AM

5:05 AM          7:23 AM              ....                 .....

So one KPI or time plot would plot all the completion times for process 1 , same for process 2,3 etc.

I see where this type of time of day aggregation has frustrated others in the past in posts on here, but for some reason thought Microsoft had fixed this behavior.  ANY guidance, links to code, .pbix files, a fix using DAX or SQL would be GREATLY appreciated.

Help 🙂 🙂 🙂 !!!!

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PbiConsult1,

The field of "duration" type is not supported in Power BI Report/Data view currently. Here is the idea shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.