cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PbiConsult1 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Time of Days being summed in KPIs even when field is set to Not Summarize Modeling

I'm trying to build some KPIs. We want to plot some trends over time. The values are specific times of day that various software processes complete. I.E.

Process 1 4:05AM

Process 2 6:04PM

the idea is to plot the completion times for each date over time for weeks, months, years etc. to show trends

Power BI Desktop and up on the Report Server seem to be treating each time of day like a numeric value to be added up liked a column or row of numbers. So 6 different times on a particular day show up in the KPI as the quantity 6.  We've tried

the PowerKPI, PowerKPI Matrix, and the Dual KPI.  I did lots of posts about the not summarize setting not working in certain situations but this has more the look and feel of a bug or some nuance to a trend of a bunch of specific times of a day historically over weeks/months/years/.

So the data somes to us in Excel like this:

Process 1         Process 2           Process 3    ... Process 6

4:04 AM          5:06 PM              3:30 AM          7:30 AM

5:05 AM          7:23 AM              ....                 .....

So one KPI or time plot would plot all the completion times for process 1 , same for process 2,3 etc.

I see where this type of time of day aggregation has frustrated others in the past in posts on here, but for some reason thought Microsoft had fixed this behavior.  ANY guidance, links to code, .pbix files, a fix using DAX or SQL would be GREATLY appreciated.

Help Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy !!!!

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Time of Days being summed in KPIs even when field is set to Not Summarize Modeling

Hi @PbiConsult1,

The field of "duration" type is not supported in Power BI Report/Data view currently. Here is the idea shared on Power BI Ideas forum. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
GregDeckler

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, explains

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 242 members 2,864 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: