Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AmirReza
Regular Visitor

Time of Day Slicer

Here is what I need: a way to be able to select either a single time value or a range of time values from a TimeOfDay table, using a slicer with a slider.

I have separate Date and TimeOfDay columns.  The TimeOfDay has a all the minutes of the day as values. it's fomatted in hh:mm style. I need a TimeOfDay slider slicer, but when I make the slicer only the dropdown and list slicers are available as options. These two slicer styles wont do for what I looking to do. I have done some research on this already and have not found an answer. There was another post on this exact problem. It says it was solved but both the OP of that post  and I dont believe the solution solved the problem we are having. 

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

I went ahead and upvoted the idea. I also came up with my own work around it. I basically made new columns for the hours, and minutes of my TimeOfDay Values. Then created two different sliding Slicers for the Hours and Minutes. I believe this is currently the best way to create "time slicers" it is very simple and effective. However, still hope they start working on implementing Time into their slicers like they have done for date. 

Thanks,

Amirreza 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AmirReza,

Date slicer doesn’t include lower grains than day: hours, minute, seconds. There is an idea, you can vote it up.

Based on my test, you can use Hierarchy slicer to work around this issue. Import a Hierachy Slicer from marketplace and put columns TimeOfDay and Date into the Slicer , then we can get the result as below.

image002.png

Regards,
Frank
Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft

That looks like a good work around however my data contains almost all the minutes of the day. So I will need a between Slicer for my TimeOfDay values. The dropdown/list that the Hierachy Slicer provides wont do much good for me. 

I very much appreciate the help. 

Thanks,

Amirreza

Hi @AmirReza,

Based on my research, It is not possible for us to achieve the same outcome as you described currently.

There is an idea, you can vote it up. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

I went ahead and upvoted the idea. I also came up with my own work around it. I basically made new columns for the hours, and minutes of my TimeOfDay Values. Then created two different sliding Slicers for the Hours and Minutes. I believe this is currently the best way to create "time slicers" it is very simple and effective. However, still hope they start working on implementing Time into their slicers like they have done for date. 

Thanks,

Amirreza 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.