Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Time intelligence function not working?

Hello, 

I need a little help. I know something little wrong with my calculations, but my calculation is showing a blank or wrong number.  I have sales data with join to the date table. When I add a year as filter most of them work but they give me wrong numbers that do not make sense. Please see my attached formulars and sample files. Can anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I could not figure it out. 

Formulars 

Total Sales = SUM(Sales_Data[TotalPrice])
Sales LM = CALCULATE( [Total Sales], DATEADD(Dates[Date], -1, MONTH ) )
Sales LY = CALCULATE([Total Sales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR( Dates[Date] ) )
Sales LYTD = CALCULATE([Total Sales], DATESYTD(Dates[Date]) )
Sales MTD = CALCULATE([Total Sales], DATESMTD( Dates[Date] ) )
Sales QTD = CALCULATE([Total Sales], DATESQTD( Dates[Date] ) )
Sales YTD = CALCULATE( [Total Sales], DATESYTD( Dates[Date] ) )

Please see the sample file over here.

Capture.PNG

thank you so much for your time and help 

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Are your dates continous? In case dates are not continuous. It might give some issues. 

Make sure the Date calendar is continuous or created using a calendar. Also, it marked as Date dimension in model view.

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information
Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

I do have a complete date set.  I have a calendar table and join to the sales table. Thank you 

DateMYTD, YTD and QTD go till today or end of the calendar date. Select a date in slicer that should give you data.

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

I did select the Year on date slicer. I don't want to put date range on my dashboard. I think time intelligence functions should work without any date selection., but when I do select the date it will give me the wrong data.  Please see the below picture.  Thank you 

Capture.PNG

Some formula you posted seems to have an issue. They are same

Sales LYTD = CALCULATE([Total Sales], DATESYTD(Dates[Date]) )

use date diff there

Sales LYTD = CALCULATE([Total Sales], DATESYTD(datediff(Dates[Date]),-12,month) )

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

Other than the last update. You can also restrict your page by using the page-level filter on the date till today. Use relative or advance options.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors