Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pontushaglund
Helper I
Helper I

Time intelligence for hours rather than days

Hi all.

I have a fact table with hourly measurements with one additional dimension (location). The table is semi additive (it should be summarized over the locations but) and I've successfully used MAXX and VALUES to get accurate Measures in the model.

What I am now trying to solve is the ability to see how many hours in a row that the total value across the locations exceeds a specific value.

Using regular Time Intelligence Functions in DAX this would be easy but since I have DateTime values rather than Date values I'm having some issues. The formulas I am using:

[Sum of MyMeasurement] = SUM('Measurements'[MyMeasurement])

[Sum by datetime] = MAXX(VALUES(DateTime[DateTime]);[Sum of MyMeasurement]) - this works great. It summarizes over my other dimension but looks a the max hourly value regardless of how I group it over month, year, date etc.

[Limit]=15000

[Sum over limit] = IF([Sum by datetime]-[Limit]>0;[Sum by datetime]-[Limit];BLANK()) - this works great as well

[Count of exceedances] = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(DateTime);FILTER(DateTime;[Sum over limit] > 0 ))

And the one that I have issues with:

[Number of exceedances the last six hours] = 

CALCULATE(

[Count of exceedances];

FILTER(

ALL(DateTime);

DateTime[DateTime]>=(MAX(DateTime[DateTime])-3/24)

&&

DateTime[DateTime]<MAX(DateTime[DateTime])

)

)

And with issues I mean that even with a filter on a page to show only seven consecutive hours the above measure never displays a results, it just keeps spinning the "progress wheel" in the top left corner of the visual (and maxes out the processor).

My fact table has appr 175000 rows.

All help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pontushaglund
Helper I
Helper I

So I managed to solve this and wanted to post the (possible) solution to others that are interested. I started by removing complexity (removing as many other measures as possible) but also changed from countrows to CountX:

COUNTX(
     FILTER(
          ALL(DateTime);
          [Sum by datetime]>15000 
          &&
          DateTime[DateTime]>(MAX(DateTime[DateTime])-6/24)
          &&
          DateTime[DateTime]<=MAX(DateTime[DateTime])
     );
     DateTime[DateTime]
)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
pontushaglund
Helper I
Helper I

So I managed to solve this and wanted to post the (possible) solution to others that are interested. I started by removing complexity (removing as many other measures as possible) but also changed from countrows to CountX:

COUNTX(
     FILTER(
          ALL(DateTime);
          [Sum by datetime]>15000 
          &&
          DateTime[DateTime]>(MAX(DateTime[DateTime])-6/24)
          &&
          DateTime[DateTime]<=MAX(DateTime[DateTime])
     );
     DateTime[DateTime]
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.