Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rajibmahmud
Helper III
Helper III

Time intelligence Last 3 year

Using DAX time intelligence function we could compar Current year data vs last year data or Last year same period data.

Is there any option to do it for last 3-4 year data?

What I am looking for is based on Current year selection BI will provide me not only LY but also -2 and -3 year values.

Result could be like below table.

CYSameperiod LY2 Years back3 Years back
Margin100908050

Sample Data

YearCurrency
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

there was just a little issue 😉 Here you find your slightly modified pbix file

Your Formula

PY = CALCULATE(sum('Sales'[Value]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Sales'[FDate]))

Working Formula

PY Working = 
CALCULATE(
	sum('Sales'[Value]), 
	SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendardb'[Date])
	)

The difference:

It always (ok - in most cases) to filter the fact table (Sales) using dimension tables (CalendarDB). For this reason the function SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR has to reference the dimensiontable. SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() expands the current filter of the CalendarDB table, and these rows are propagated to sales table using the relationship (CalendarDB --> Sales)

Voila 🙂

Have a nice weekend

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Total Value:=SUM(Table2[Value])

YTD:=calculate([Total Value], DATESYTD(Dates[Date]))

1YP:=CALCULATE([Total Value], DATEADD(DATESYTD(Dates[Date]), -1, YEAR))

2YP:=CALCULATE([Total Value], DATEADD(DATESYTD(Dates[Date]), -2, YEAR))

Untitled.png

@Anonymous Thanks alot.

Another noob query I have, If my table have Year and Month in seperate column. Month in Jan, Feb, Mar - This format (First 3 letter).

Can I use time intelligence formula on this scenario?

Sample data

YearMonthCurrency
2017Jan100
2017Feb200
2017Mar300
2016Jan100
2016Feb200
2016Mar300

Hey,

no it's not possible to use time intelligence funtions, these functions require a column of the datatype date/datetime.

For this reason, a date / datetime column is created even if the granularity of the values is just month, as it seems to be in your scenario.

In this case, the 1st day of the month is used to connect the currency table with a separate date table.

Basically it's possible to rewrite the time intelligence functions in "normal" DAX, but this is a more complex task, but also if you try this, it'almost mandatory to use a data/datetime column and a separate date/datetime table (calendar table).

Even if you use standard (international) abbreviations for the months, it is not recognized as a month, Power BI is not capable to order the values of the month column.

I highly recommend to have a closer look at the design and usage of calendar tables, for time intelligence calculations this is always a good starting point:

http://www.daxpatterns.com/time-patterns/

Hope this helps

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens & @Anonymous , Thanks alot.

On that scenario, I guess I have to create a Custom column during data load to convert Month & Year to Date for example 2017 Jan would be 01/01/2017.

Any idea how I would be able to do that?

Probably there would be 2 steps.

Step 1: Convert Jan to January and Step 2 would be converting this combination to Date.

Or is there any other simpler way to do it using Relationship table and other stuff to achive this?

I was trying resolve this issue by adding Custom column, however I am facing issue as the month's are in 3 letter format. Which I might be resolved by adding another column for converting month. But this will complicate my DB and increase the size. Is there any other way around? I have a mapping table in the DB where Jan = January and 1.

Is there any option to add Lookup or similar formula in Convert to date formula? I will use Date(Year columne, " Not sure yet" , 1)

I counter the issue of Date using 

FDate = Date('Sales'[Year],
LOOKUPVALUE( Calendardb[Month], Calendardb[MonthCode], 'Sales'[Month]) ,
1)

However, my time intelligence formula is for Prior year value is not working

I used PY = CALCULATE(sum('Sales'[Value]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Sales'[FDate]))

And it resulting below. I dont see value beside year for new measure... And I am not sure about the total value.

YearValuePY
2014                       31,884 
2015                       32,836 
2016                       34,095 
2017                       18,638 
Total                     117,454                    82,755

Hey,

this is an answer for your question how to create a datetime column in your currency table. Here is a little pbix file.

Basically I created an index table, this table contains a column with 3letter monthnames and an index column 1 for Jan ...

I merged this table to currency table to retrieve the index for the month, then I created a datetimecolumn using the already existing year column and the monthindex column, additionally i passed constant values for day and hour, min and sec.

Be aware that, you have to align the time part across all your date / datetime columns. Sometimes it is sufficient just to create just a date column, in these scenarios you can omit the parameter for the time and you can use this formula instead:

Date.From(#date(year, monthno, dayno)).

Then I created a very basic calendar table in the model, but you also can create the calendar table in query part (before the loading to the model).

I created a relationship between both table, and have also hidden the helper table and some columns from the report view,

I hope this gets you started.

Have a look at the link Scott provided and also at the daxpattern.com site.

Until you don't have calendartable the timeintelligence functions won't work

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks Sir. 🙂

I did created a Calendar table. Let me go through and try, as I am new to this having some basic issues...

Time, DAX, both can become wild beasts especially when they meet 😉

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

@TomMartens

I am unable to make it work. I followed the same steps as shared in your file earlier as well. Whenever I put Date from my table, it works for sameperiodly, But when I try the same using Date from Calendar table which is linked with data/sales table, it doesnt work. Same goes for year. I added screenshot below.

Working scenario, which is not usefulWorking scenario, which is not useful2.JPGRelationshipRelationshipCalendarCalendarSample dataSample data

Hey,

can you upload your file and share the link, please.

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hey,

there was just a little issue 😉 Here you find your slightly modified pbix file

Your Formula

PY = CALCULATE(sum('Sales'[Value]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Sales'[FDate]))

Working Formula

PY Working = 
CALCULATE(
	sum('Sales'[Value]), 
	SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Calendardb'[Date])
	)

The difference:

It always (ok - in most cases) to filter the fact table (Sales) using dimension tables (CalendarDB). For this reason the function SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR has to reference the dimensiontable. SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR() expands the current filter of the CalendarDB table, and these rows are propagated to sales table using the relationship (CalendarDB --> Sales)

Voila 🙂

Have a nice weekend

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks a lot 🙂 🙂

Same to you 🙂

My weekend is over... Fri-Sat day is weekend here.. So office day starts from tomorrow...

Then I guess you are well prepared for the upcoming week 🙂

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

You basically MUST have a calendar table.
http://tinylizard.com/power-bi-date-table/

I would create a calculated column that appends Year/Mo/1 to create a real date, hook that up to a date table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.