Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

android1
Post Patron
Post Patron

Time difference in hours

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the diiference in hours between two date/time columns. When I use DateDiff I am not able to use the two columns below.

Time Difference.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also can use a measure, i feel little faster loading time with this 

TimeDiff = CONVERT(SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Date1],0)-SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Date2],0),DATETIME)

and then change the format to time hh:mm:ss
Cheers

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

DATEDIFF(TablaHoras[TimeFrom];TablaHoras[TimeTo];HOUR)

Lima - Peru

Thanks for both answers. I'm getting the below error for both;

Time.jpg

DateDiff_Big...In PowerBI this function doesnt work.

Your Measure should be look like this:

MeasureName=DateDiff(xxxxxx,xxxxxx,Hour)

Lima - Peru

I'm confused. When I type DateDiff( I don't get the TimeFrom or TimeTo columns for selection in the measure.

If I use a calculated column I do but get the above error.

Hi @android1,

In your scenario, please take a look at @Sean's first reply. You need to create a calculated column instead of measure by clicking "New Column" button. As you mentioned the error occurs when you create a calculated column, would you please share a screenshot about the DAX expression for this column? And which visual do you use to display this calculated column values?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun_Yu,

I am using a Table visualisation. Here is the custom column  ->DateDiff.png

Hi @android1,

From the image, the custom column DAX expression is correct. And I havn't seen the table visual displays the error you mentioned. Would you mind sharing the .pbix file for us to analyze closely?

Best regrdas,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@android1 You have to create a COLUMN - NOT a Measure!

Look at the picture in my post above - you can't do this as a Measure - that's why the columns are not showing up when you type!

click New Column - then you'll see the columns will show up after you type DATEDIFF

@android1 the error above is datediffBig function change to datediff

Lima - Peru
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@android1 You are creating a Column right? And the function is DATEDIFF

Datediff.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@android1 So you've verified both columns are date/time.

Then maybe you have some start (FROM) times that are after the corresponding end (TO) times.

See if this works - but don't forget that this means some of your data is not in the right order...

Hours = SWITCH( 
            TRUE(), 
               'Table'[TimeFrom]<'Table'[TimeTo], DATEDIFF('Table'[TimeFrom], 'Table'[TimeTo], HOUR),
               'Table'[TimeFrom]>'Table'[TimeTo], DATEDIFF('Table'[TimeTo], 'Table'[TimeFrom], HOUR),
               0 )

Dear Sean i tried this method and it worked fine i want to see it in minutes how can i do it ?????

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors