Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

banthorpe
Helper I
Helper I

Time difference between adjacent rows

OK - so I'm trying to do something with a table in PowerBI that I hope will be easier than trying in Excel!

I have a table which contains meeting start and end datetimes for a number of rooms.

What I need to determine is the time difference between the end of one meeting and the start of the next one in the SAME room on the SAME day

I have loaded the tables and am using a slicer to filter based on the room ID so I can see all data relating to a specific room but I'm not sure how to write the DAX to calculate the different that I want.

Can someone advise please if this is possible and if so how?

-Dave

powerbi1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try with "," per ";"

They are calculated columns and try with this code better:

Dif = 
var DStart=DIFDates[origStartDate]
var DEnd=DIFDates[origEndDate]
var Room=DIFDates[ROOM]
var DBefore=CALCULATE(MAX(DIFDates[origEndDate]);FILTER(DIFDates;DIFDates[ROOM]=Room && DIFDates[origEndDate]<=DStart && DIFDates[origStartDate].[Day]=DIFDates[origEndDate].[Day] && DIFDates[origStartDate].[Month]=DIFDates[origEndDate].[Month] && DIFDates[origStartDate].[Year]=DIFDates[origEndDate].[Year]))
return
DATEDIFF(DBefore;DIFDates[origStartDate];MINUTE)/60

Best Regards,
Miguel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ZunzunUOC
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @banthorpe , maybe it helps you:

Dif = 
var Room=DIFDates[ROOM]
var DBefore=CALCULATE(MAX(DIFDates[origEndDate]);FILTER(DIFDates;DIFDates[ROOM]=Room && DIFDates[origEndDate]<=DStart))
return
IF((DATEDIFF(DBefore;DIFDates[origStartDate];MINUTE)/60)>=24;BLANK();(DATEDIFF(DBefore;DIFDates[origStartDate];MINUTE)/60))

reply008.png

Best Regards,
Miguel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks - would this be a column or a measure?

I get syntax errors: "The syntax for ';' is incorrect..."

Try with "," per ";"

They are calculated columns and try with this code better:

Dif = 
var Room=DIFDates[ROOM]
var DBefore=CALCULATE(MAX(DIFDates[origEndDate]);FILTER(DIFDates;DIFDates[ROOM]=Room && DIFDates[origEndDate]<=DStart && DIFDates[origStartDate].[Day]=DIFDates[origEndDate].[Day] && DIFDates[origStartDate].[Month]=DIFDates[origEndDate].[Month] && DIFDates[origStartDate].[Year]=DIFDates[origEndDate].[Year]))
return
DATEDIFF(DBefore;DIFDates[origStartDate];MINUTE)/60

Best Regards,
Miguel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.