Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stalerik
Helper II
Helper II

Time-Series Line Chart, with one-minute data, continuous x-axis, gaps for missing data

Hello,

I am having a problem creating a chart that is similar to the ones I have created in Excel for many years.  I collect data on one-minute intervals but I am only interested in data with a specific condition.  This creates "gaps" in my one-minute data.  With Excel, I have created an XY Scatter Plot with Markers and put the data on a chart for the last 24-hours.  This makes it easy to see the gaps in the data, see the "scatter" or outliers in the data, and still see how the data trends up and down over time.

I am making the attempt to move into Power BI and I can't figure out how to create the same type of chart.  I don't think I can make an XY Scatter Chart with a time-series x-axis and including all of the 1000+ markers on a single chart without a lot of scrolling.  I can create a line chart but I have several problems:

1.  The line chart draws a continuous line across the gaps in the one-minute data.  I would like a line chart with no connecting lines that bridge the gap across "missing data".

2. I am using a DirectQuery to automatically add the most recent data to a line chart.  If the data is in the middle of a "gap", then my time-series x-axis just stops and doesn't show the date/time for the most recent data.  I would like a chart where the x-axis continues to "move forward" but the chart still shows no valid data being collected.

3.  I have tried to use a categorical x-axis which seems to handle gaps in the data, but the x-axis becomes unreadable and there is still a lot of scrolling to the left/right to see a days-worth of one-minute data.

I've searched around for some help but I haven't found a solution that works for my situation.  Is there anything that can re-create the types of charts that I have been making in Excel?

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @stalerik 

It seems you may try to use custom visuals like Advanced TimeSeries Visual.For further,please have a look at below articles to check if they could help.

https://radacad.com/new-series-of-time-series-power-bi-custom-visual-part-4

https://data-flair.training/blogs/power-bi-time-series-graph/

For 3rd party Links:

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Cherie,

Thank you for these links.  

I tried the custom visual for "Time Series Forecasting Chart" by Microsoft.  I downloaded the visual and tried to create a chart but the visual is broken: "Can't display visual, R scripting error".

The "Advanced TimeSeries Visual" looks nice but it seems hard to control and it doesn't allow a line chart to be created with gaps.  I can get gaps when there is missing data when the chart is in columns, but it is adding zero values when the chart is in line style.  I also can't figure out how to show a daily chart with each minute value shown on it -- the chart expands and contracts and aggregates values in a weird way.

So are you saying that I can't create a time-series chart that has gaps for missing data?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.