Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lottieritchie
Helper I
Helper I

Time Intelligence

Hi, 

I have a table which has records of maintenance jobs completed at rented houses. Each record has (amongst other things):

Created On Date 

Completed Date 

Priority (associated SLA for that priority). 

I have various calculated columns already which show me:

For jobs that do not have a completed date (i.e are still outstanding), how many days over their SLA target they are 

For completed jobs, how many days after their SLA they were completed on. 

What I now want to see, is, (I'm not sure what you would use? A slicer or a measure etc..) but I would like to see, on a certain date in the past, how many jobs were live (i.e not completed) and overdue on that day. 

I know I have all of the data, I just don't know what to do to visulise this. 

Further to this I would like to be able to compare this for example to the same month the previous year, or the previous month etc. 

Thanks for your help 

Lottie 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @lottieritchie Thanks for your description. I create a new measure to count the live jobs. It works when you select a continuous period of time (month, week, quarter) or a specific date. Here is the PBIX file.

Live jobs 2 = 
VAR _periodStart = MIN ( Dates[Date] )
VAR _periodEnd = MAX ( Dates[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( 'Table'[Job] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            NOT (
                'Table'[Created Date] > _periodEnd
                    || (
                        'Table'[Completed Date] < _periodStart
                            && NOT ( ISBLANK ( 'Table'[Completed Date] ) )
                    )
            )
        )
    )

Regards,

Jing

View solution in original post

@lottieritchie 

Additionally, if you want to get the result of last period or the same period last year, you can change the variables _periodStart and _periodEnd in above measure. For example:

• Last month
VAR _periodStart = EDATE(MIN(Dates[Date]),-1)
VAR _periodEnd = EDATE(MAX(Dates[Date]),-1)
  • Same month last year
VAR _periodStart = EDATE(MIN(Dates[Date]),-12)
VAR _periodEnd = EDATE(MAX(Dates[Date]),-12)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
lottieritchie
Helper I
Helper I

I'm still having trouble with this issue if anyone is able to help? Many thanks 

Hi @lottieritchie 

It seems there are several issues to deal with. Let's start with selecting a certain date.

020906.jpg

Assume you have data like above, you can create below measure to calculate the number of live jobs on a selected date. I add an independent Date table in the model. You can use this Date table to select a date in a slicer. Here is the pbix file .

Live jobs = 
VAR _selectedDate = SELECTEDVALUE ( Dates[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( 'Table'[Job] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Created Date] <= _selectedDate
                && (
                    'Table'[Completed Date] > _selectedDate
                        || ISBLANK ( 'Table'[Completed Date] )
                )
        )
    )

My question is that, if a job was created on 15th March 2019 and completed on 10th April 2019, when you want to count the number of live jobs at month level, should it be counted as a live job in March 2019 or in April 2019 or other result? How to deal with this condition? Also how to deal with a job only lasting for several days in the same month?

Regards,

Jing

Hi Jing,

Thanks so much for your response. And that you for the formula. 

They are very good questions...

In your example I think I would want to count a live job in both March and April ideally, to show that the team were managing a job both in March and in April. Same for if the job only lasted for several days, I would still want to count that as a live job for that month. 

Sorry one more question, now I have created that formula (I have a date table in my data already), I have added a filter to the page pulling in the date, but it doesn't seem to effect my, in the case 'card' which I have displaying the Live Jobs count. Could you advise what I may be doing incorrectly? Many thanks again for your help! 

Lottie 

Sorry my slicer is working, but as you say, only if I select a specific day, rather than being able to select a month, or a week. 

Am I able to use this new Live Jobs field to compare trends etc, as opposed to just using a slicer  to look at specific dates? 

Many thanks 

Hi @lottieritchie Thanks for your description. I create a new measure to count the live jobs. It works when you select a continuous period of time (month, week, quarter) or a specific date. Here is the PBIX file.

Live jobs 2 = 
VAR _periodStart = MIN ( Dates[Date] )
VAR _periodEnd = MAX ( Dates[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( 'Table'[Job] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            NOT (
                'Table'[Created Date] > _periodEnd
                    || (
                        'Table'[Completed Date] < _periodStart
                            && NOT ( ISBLANK ( 'Table'[Completed Date] ) )
                    )
            )
        )
    )

Regards,

Jing

@lottieritchie 

Additionally, if you want to get the result of last period or the same period last year, you can change the variables _periodStart and _periodEnd in above measure. For example:

• Last month
VAR _periodStart = EDATE(MIN(Dates[Date]),-1)
VAR _periodEnd = EDATE(MAX(Dates[Date]),-1)
  • Same month last year
VAR _periodStart = EDATE(MIN(Dates[Date]),-12)
VAR _periodEnd = EDATE(MAX(Dates[Date]),-12)

Thank you so much this is great. 👍

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@lottieritchie 

I have assumed some Data based on your explanation and created this pbix . Look at this and let me know if it helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi, thanks for your help. I'm not quite there on what I need yet. 

Thanks for the sample data, I have just swapped the Open/Close around so those without a closed date now show as Open. 

But using this as an example, on Tuesday 14th April, 2020, Project 17 is open, and project 21 is still also open. So on that day, 2 projects are currently open. 

On the 14th April 2019 Project 11 & Project 13 would have been open on that day. So what I would like to see is something showing me 2 open on that day this year, and 2 open on the same day the previous year (and I would like to be able to change this to look at whole months/years etc? 

Hope that makes sense? Thanks for your help. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi, thank you very much this is very helpful. I have replicated most of these fields, other than I have got stuck on one where it is not liking the second _min_date in my expression: 

(Temp) Last Period Live Jobs =
var _min_date = minx(all(Calendar_Lookup,Calendar_Lookup[Date]),
var _expression =if(ISFILTERED(Calendar_Lookup[Month and Year]),MAXX(Calendar_Lookup,DATEADD(Calendar_Lookup[Date],-1,month)),maxx(Calendar_Lookup,DATEADD(Calendar_Lookup[Date],-1,year)))
Return
CALCULATE(COUNTX(filter(DB_Job_Data,DB_Job_Data[job_CreatedOn]<=_expression && DB_Job_Data[job_CreatedOn]>= _min_date && (Isblank(DB_Job_Data[job_ContractorAdvisedCompletedOn]) || DB_Job_Data[job_ContractorAdvisedCompletedOn]>_expression)),crossfilter(DB_Job_Data[job_CreatedOn],Calendar_Lookup[Date],none))))

Any idea what I am doing wrong here? 
Many thanks for your help. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.