Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Time Intelligence: Weekly / Monthly Data Model Help Needed

CURRENT PROBLEM: My current week / month will cut off when the beginning of the month falls on either the end or begining of the week. 

- EX: March 1 falls on Friday = my data will calculate the week to only have 2 days.

- EX: March 31 falls on Sunday = my data will calculate the week to only have 1 day. (see calendar screenshot below for reference)

calendar.png

PROBLEM TO SOLVE: Is there a way in which I can structure my time intelligence / calendar table to where if I want to model by the week level, the months do not cut off and will continue to account for 7 days? This is causing my data model to show sudden dips when in reality, it is just a change in the month during the week. The sudden dips in my model are bothering my clients and I am struggling to find a solution on how I can remedy this. Please see screenshot below (specifically the white arrows). The white arrows point to the very end / beginning of the month. 

weekly variance.png

I have a calendar table with the following: 

- Month = FORMAT('Calendar'[Date], "MMM")

- Week = WEEKNUM('Calendar'[Date])

I am pretty sure this is how it should be set up but if I am not correct, please let me know. Any guidance or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

Usually, People just put year and week together. You'd better do not put month and week together.

Or if you could try this way:

Add a month No and week No. column in Calendar table

Then use a measure like this

Measure 5 =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table3[Qty] ),
    FILTER (
        ALLSELECTED ( Table3 ),
        Table3[Month]
            = MAX ( Table3[Month] ) - 1
            && Table3[Week] = MAX ( Table3[Week] )
    )
)
    + CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table3[Qty] ) )
    + CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Table3[Qty] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( Table3 ),
            Table3[Month]
                = MAX ( Table3[Month] ) + 1
                && Table3[Week] = MAX ( Table3[Week] )
        )
    )

For example:

10.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.