Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Time Calculation

Hello all, as per the below screenshot i have the column 'historytime' which is in the format HHMMSS then 2 random zero's. I would like to format this into HH:MM:SS and remove the last 2 zero's.

Also anything prior for 12pm is has it in format HMMSS so need to take this into account.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ouch. One comma was missing. I hope now it is working 🙂

let
Source = Sql.Databases("ghw-srv-09\xplansvr"),
XPLAN = Source{[Name="XPLAN"]}[Data],
dbo_XPLAN52 = XPLAN{[Schema="dbo",Item="XPLAN52"]}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(dbo_XPLAN52,{{"HistoryTime", Int64.Type}}),
#"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"HistoryTime", type text}}, "en-GB"), "HistoryTime", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1", "HistoryTime.2"}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Split Column by Position",{"HistoryTime.2"}),
#"Split Column by Position1" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"HistoryTime.1", type text}}, "en-GB"), "HistoryTime.1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1.1", "HistoryTime.1.2"}),
#"Split Column by Position2" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Split Column by Position1", "HistoryTime.1.1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1.1.1", "HistoryTime.1.1.2"}),
#"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Position2",{"HistoryTime.1.1.1", "HistoryTime.1.1.2", "HistoryTime.1.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.None),"Time"),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns",{{"Time", type time}})
in
#"Changed Type2"

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
RolandsP
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Here is the M code to get the result you need. 

Just import the data and copy the code into Advanced Editor (correct source of your file)

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\rolan\Downloads\Data_test_5.xlsx"), null, true),
    Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers", {{"HistoryTime", type text}}, "en-GB"), "HistoryTime", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1", "HistoryTime.2"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Split Column by Position",{"HistoryTime.2"}),
    #"Split Column by Position1" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"HistoryTime.1", type text}}, "en-GB"), "HistoryTime.1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1.1", "HistoryTime.1.2"}),
    #"Split Column by Position2" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Split Column by Position1", "HistoryTime.1.1", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1.1.1", "HistoryTime.1.1.2"}),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Split Column by Position2",{"HistoryTime.1.1.1", "HistoryTime.1.1.2", "HistoryTime.1.2"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(":", QuoteStyle.None),"Time"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns",{{"Time", type time}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rolands, thank you for the response. I'm very new to Power Bi so sorry if this seems like a stupid question. The import has already been done and is from an SQL connection. 

If i change the line from the excel work book and add it like this, I get an error. I guess I have to change quite a bit?

let Source = (XPLAN52[HistoryTime], null, true),
Sheet1_Sheet = Source{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Sheet1_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers", {{"HistoryTime", type text}}, "en-GB"), "HistoryTime", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1", "HistoryTime.2"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns",{{"Time", type time}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Yes, you will need to make some small adjustments to the code.
Could you please send me the Query editor code you have right after data import?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rolands, not sure if this is correc? If not let me know how to get this (very noob to this)

let
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(dbo_XPLAN52,{{"HistoryTime", Int64.Type}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Yes, that is what I need.

Please try this code.

let
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(dbo_XPLAN52,{{"HistoryTime", Int64.Type}})
#"Split Column by Position" = Table.SplitColumn(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type", {{"HistoryTime", type text}}, "en-GB"), "HistoryTime", Splitter.SplitTextByPositions({0, 2}, true), {"HistoryTime.1", "HistoryTime.2"}),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Merged Columns",{{"Time", type time}})
in
#"Changed Type2"

Yes, that is what I need.

Please try this code.

let
in
#"Changed Type2"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm afraid not, screenshot attached

Capture.PNG

Ouch. One comma was missing. I hope now it is working 🙂

let
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(dbo_XPLAN52,{{"HistoryTime", Int64.Type}}),
in
#"Changed Type2"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm afraid not again

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry wromg screenshot 

Capture.PNG

I just noticed that you are actually placing this code in wrong place - in Formula Bar in Power BI Desktop where you write DAX expressions for measure and columns.

You should be placing it in Advanced Editor in the same place from where you copied the code for querying SQL database.

If you do not know how to find it, let me know I will write detailed instructions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rolands, told you I was noob. This certainly did the trick. Thank you so much

All fine. Keep learning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.