Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Time Aggregates. Elegant Visual Design / Alternative to Drill Downs and Drill Ups

In the dashboards we create, there is a need for visualizing the data in different time intervals.  (Not a unique need.)  I find that the drill up and drill downs suitable for an experienced PowerBI user, but for a novice it is not ideal and too indescript.

Has anyone created a well-received "control" that can govern all the visuals on a page allowing users to more elegantly change time intervals on a dashboard?

Thanks in advance... 

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@irnm8dn , The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
You can explore a time table and bucket as a column in that

https://kohera.be/blog/power-bi/how-to-create-a-time-table-in-power-bi-in-a-few-simple-steps/
Appreciate your Kudos.

I am looking for a more visual way to change all of the time dimensions on a single page for the user.  For instance a visual cue or icon of some sort, that allows the user to move from Weekly to Monthly to Quarterly to Annually with a single click, and not use the drill up/down functionality.  Ideally, I can change all of the visualizations on the page with a single click.

This a UX question, not how to create/model a time dimension.

@irnm8dn 

Sounds to me like a good use case for "Bookmarks".

You can create a separate Bookmark for each Timescale.   Then use images or icons as your navigation to access each bookmark.

There a multitude of videos on this subject...I just don't have any links handy.

Good Luck and Best Regards,

I think that's a great idea.  I was in a similar headspace.

I will loop up some videos, but if anyone has a visual sample or link it'd be much appreciated.

Hi @irnm8dn ,

Or use a hierarchical slicer?

v-lionel-msft_0-1604569750972.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@irnm8dn 

I created an image of a "24 hour clock" for myself.  Can't recall if I did it in Visio or Powerpoint, but you can use whatever is handy.   This links to a page that reports activity in 6 hour segments for each of my facilities.

rsbin_0-1604342666174.png

You can search the net for various "calendar" icons to give you something that would represent week / month / year.  Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.