Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RacAgr
Helper I
Helper I

Thousand-Separator-and-Decimal-Separator

hello,

for the currency column, I'm having problems with decimal separator and thousand separator.

Decimal separator is a comma and thousand separator is a point. But PowerBi goes wrong

for example - powerbi shows 121,000.00 (thousand separator is a comma and Decimal separator is a point)

Output expected, 121.000,00 (Decimal separator is a comma and thousand separator is a point)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The display of numeric felds (and dates, times etecetera) depends on your Regional Settings.

It can be adjusted in Power BI Desktop or in Windows (Land/Region). It looks like the Windows setting is leading, but you have to close and reopen your pbix file after adjusting the Regional Settings.

Regional Settings.png

In Power BI you can also adjust your language settings to influence the display format for published reports.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Deepikasimha
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

We have a power bi report embedded int .net application. We have given ($)United States format for one column in the report. It shows $123,345,678(Right format) in few browsers and machines and $12,33,45,678(wrong format) in few browsers.

Can some one help me to fix this please.

Thanks,

Power BI Learner

Mahashankari

The Thousand Separator could not work, if the currency value contains more than 8 digits. Provide solution for this. 

Jasper_Eggink
Regular Visitor

Helle all,

Thanks to this blogpost I have found a sulution for this problem without changing the locale for the whole Power Bi file. The steps are:

1. Go to the Power Query-editor and select the column
  2. Change the data type to "decimal number" in the transform menu
  3. Open the advanced editor and add the desired locale string to the "Table.TransformColumnTypes" function.

Example:

#"Type gewijzigd" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Kolommen verwijderd",{{"sales.grand_total_month", type number}}, "en-US")

This is the right answer. I don't care about Regional Display, I want the Power Query to correctly parse my column as it is written.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RacAgr,

Based on test, if I export these data to csv, it will remove custom format and keep the normal number. So I think you store these value with text format, right?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

these values are in decimal number then using currency 

Hi @RacAgr,

I can't reproduce your issue, It works well on my side.

10.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Output expected, 121.000,00 (Decimal separator is a comma and thousand separator is a point)

in your result, you get 121,000.00 (Decimal separator is a point and thousand separator is a comma), which i am able to get as well. but i need the output as shown in first line

The display of numeric felds (and dates, times etecetera) depends on your Regional Settings.

It can be adjusted in Power BI Desktop or in Windows (Land/Region). It looks like the Windows setting is leading, but you have to close and reopen your pbix file after adjusting the Regional Settings.

Regional Settings.png

In Power BI you can also adjust your language settings to influence the display format for published reports.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has something recently changed in this behaviour? I can't seem to get the xxx.xxx,xx formatting using the Locale setting.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the solution to my issue; PBI Desktop seems to be only looking at the "Region - Format" part in the Win10 - Control Panel - Clock and Region - Region settings e.g:

Format: Dutch (Netherlands). When customizing this format using the "Additional settings" button, these customizations are not taken into account by PowerBI Desktop; So, it's VERY important to pick the correct Format: selection and not customize an existing selection to the needs of your users. tmp_pbi.JPG

Created a blogpost around my findings on this. 

It works. Important: All figures on data model should have the same type. Be careful when you were transforming data

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@RacAgr

this is the correct format as far as i know.

powerbi shows 121,000.00

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

any suggestions pls on how to achieve the expected output?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.