Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

This year vs Last year

How can I show a set of values (based on user selected date range) on one line, and a 2nd line which shows the data for the same time (months) but of the previous year to the user selected date range please?

Here is what I have tried:

I'm having some troubles trying to do a YOY line chart that shows months on the bottom, and the values/count of current events vs the previous year.

I have pulled in a dataset that is similar to this

ID | DateOfEvent |

1  | 01-01-2019   |

2  | 02-02-2019   |

3  | 03-03-2019   |

4  | 01-01-2018   |

5  | 02-02-2018   |

6  | 03-03-2018   |

... | ...              ...    |

I then created a measure

Events - number of = COUNT('EventsTable'[id])

Followed by a Previous Year measure.

Previous Year - # of events = CALCULATE('EventsTable'[Events - number of], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(EventsTable[DateOfEvent]))

It seemed I needed "Events - Number of" in order to create "Previous Year - # of events" (I couldn't select a column, but I could select a measure?)

I also created a date table with CALENDARAUTO() and linked it to the DateOfEvent column, but I keep getting the same contigious values warning message. If I remove the "Previous Year - # of events" measure the problem goes away but then I don't have the data I want to show?

Hope I've provided enough detail/explanation.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solved my own problem.

In case any other new to PowerBI/Dax comes this way. I had to create a new table and used CALENDARAUTO() to generate that.

I then linked it to the date of events in my dataset.

I hadn't set the measure below to take from the new date table that I created

Previous Year - # of events = CALCULATE('EventsTable'[Events - number of], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(EventsTable[DateOfEvent]))

When corrected to

Previous Year - # of events = CALCULATE('EventsTable'[Events - number of], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DateTable[Dates]))

and I used that date table in the visual, things worked ! 🙂

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

Solved my own problem.

In case any other new to PowerBI/Dax comes this way. I had to create a new table and used CALENDARAUTO() to generate that.

I then linked it to the date of events in my dataset.

I hadn't set the measure below to take from the new date table that I created

When corrected to

Previous Year - # of events = CALCULATE('EventsTable'[Events - number of], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DateTable[Dates]))

and I used that date table in the visual, things worked ! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.