Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This week vs. last week cumulative

Hi All,

I'm a bit stuck with something. I need to deliver a daily report of support requests. As part of this, I need to show (dynamically) a weekly status.

For example, I need to show a cumulative total of all requests received from Jan 1 2021 (min date in my column) till this time last week (5th March 2021 - my 'previous' week) vs. cumulative total of all requests received from Jan 1 2021 to this week (12th March 2021 - my 'current' week).

Essentially it's a view that shows this week vs. same day last week but the calculations should be cumulative (so it shouldn’t look at just the data for the week but rather all data leading and including that week).

I feel like I need to create a dynamic tag in my date column that marks the dates as either this week or previous week dynamically but I'm not sure how to go about it. The reason i'm after a custom column is because i want to use the tag as a filter on a visual. 

Is anyone able to shed some light?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Please try this measure:

Cumulative to this week = 
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet57),Sheet57[Date]<=TODAY()&&Sheet57[Date]>=DATE(2021,01,01)),Sheet57[Value])
Cumulative to last week same day = 
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet57),Sheet57[Date]>=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),01,01)&&Sheet57[Date]<=TODAY()-7),Sheet57[Value])

My Sample is from 2021/01/01 to current day 2021/03/16.

1.png

Result is as below.

1.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Please try this measure:

Cumulative to this week = 
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet57),Sheet57[Date]<=TODAY()&&Sheet57[Date]>=DATE(2021,01,01)),Sheet57[Value])
Cumulative to last week same day = 
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet57),Sheet57[Date]>=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),01,01)&&Sheet57[Date]<=TODAY()-7),Sheet57[Value])

My Sample is from 2021/01/01 to current day 2021/03/16.

1.png

Result is as below.

1.png

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try this with separate Date or Year/week table

example

YTD= CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year]) && 'Date'[Week] <= Max('Date'[Week]) ))
Last week YTD = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year]) && 'Date'[Week] <= Max('Date'[Week])-1))

or

YTD=
var _max = MaxX(allselected('Date'),'Date'[Week])
return
CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year]) && 'Date'[Week] <= _max ))

Last week YTD =
var _max = MaxX(allselected('Date'),'Date'[Week])
return
CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Year]=max('Date'[Year]) && 'Date'[Week] <= _max-1))

Also, check these

Power BI — Week on Week and WTD
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-wtd-questions-time-intelligence-4-5-98c30fab69d3
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-Last-Week/ba-p/1051123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnAesWxYgJ8

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.