Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

This field can't be used since it is invalid

Hi there, I am hoping someone can assist me.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop Version: 2.42.4611.701 Date Published: 1/12/2017

I opened a Power BI Desktop file that connects to SharePoint and when I open the file I get the following below.

Power Bi - This field can't be used since it is invalid.png

Power BI - Revenue YTD.png

But the issue us that if I have to take the calculated measure that it says is missing and overwrite it, it then works. So there are no issues with my data or modelling.

I am also aware of the Support issue currently from Microsoft.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ 

• We are experiencing an issue that is impacting refresh for users with tables that combine data from an OAuth data source with one or more other data sources. A small number of customers may see credential errors when refreshing datasets or configuring credentials. We are now in the process of deploying the fix to all regions. Next update : 01/16/2017 10:00 PST.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft thanks for your help.

What I did to resolve the issue was to drag the existing calculated measures back over the ones with the error.

It was the quickest way to resolve the issue and get the users able to view the data.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opeend up a report from an old project as the project has come back to life and I need to keep working on the report. However, something has happened along the way, likely a deleted source file or some update I made to the query, that has "disconnected" all of my field names.

All of my visuals' field wells are full of the "This field can't be used since it is invalid" error. Is there any way for me to see what field used to be in these field wells so that I can start rebiilding them? It's been a long time and I've forgot most of how I put his report together.

I'm hoping the field names are buried in some query code or something like that somewhere.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 3.54.07 PM.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I opeend up a report from an old project as the project has come back to life and I need to keep working on the report. However, something has happened along the way, likely a deleted source file or some update I made to the query, that has "disconnected" all of my field names.

All of my visuals' field wells are full of the "This field can't be used since it is invalid" error. Is there any way for me to see what field used to be in these field wells so that I can start rebiilding them? It's been a long time and I've forgot most of how I put his report together.

I'm hoping the field names are buried in some query code or something like that somewhere.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 3.54.07 PM.png

Open the Query Editor, click on the Advanced Editor button.

This will show you the M query originally used to access the data, plus will show the model changes made (e.g. renamed colums, etc).

You will probably want to copy/paste the query into a text editor and reformat it, because natively there aren't a lot of line breaks to help with readability.   But this should at least get you access to the field names that existed in the data model.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @GilbertQ

Could you please describe more details about your scenario? Do you connect to SharePoint Online list or files located at SharePoint Online in Power BI Desktop?

Also please clear old SharePoint data source in a new Power BI Desktop file, then reconnect to SharePoint, create a visual using the problem field and check if the issue still persists.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

I'm connecting to SharePoint On Premise.

And there have been no changes to anything.

The interesting fact is that if I open the Power BI Desktop in September version it works fine. Whilst if I open it in Jan 2017 I get the error.

I even tried to download the file from the Power BI service and that also gives me the same error in the Jan 2017 version

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Could you please delete old sharepoint data sources in the latest verison of Power BI Desktop and re-connect to SharePoint and create visual using problem field to check the issue?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft thanks for your help.

What I did to resolve the issue was to drag the existing calculated measures back over the ones with the error.

It was the quickest way to resolve the issue and get the users able to view the data.

Power BI Blog

Zaka
Frequent Visitor

I am facing same issue in my reports and dashboards when I redeployed my SSAS cube which has live connection to power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.