Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mysorian
Helper I
Helper I

This UI needs fixing

IThis is specific to the Get Data UI.

I could connect to SQL Anywhere 16 using the Sybase Databases in the Get Data menu.

http://hodentek.blogspot.com/2015/02/powerbi-preview-reporting-from-sql_13.html

Power BI is updated to the August Version and SAP has updated there SQL Anywhere to Version 17.

When I try to connect to SQL Anywhere 17 using Get Data this is the screen that comes up:

PowerBI_SAP17_08_net.png

Clicking OK should normaly bring up an authentication screen. Although it does it sometimes more often it seems to bring up a cached message side stepping the authentication altogether. The screen that follows makes no meaning.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@mysorian

Please go to File – Options and settings – Data source settings – Global Permissions as Eno1978 said to check if there is any cached connection, but not Recent Sources.

This UI needs fixing_5.jpg

I just installed SQL Anyway 17 and tried to get data in latest PBI Desktop. I can get the authentication screen if there is no cached connection as below.

This UI needs fixing_1.jpgThis UI needs fixing_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@mysorian

Please go to File – Options and settings – Data source settings – Global Permissions as Eno1978 said to check if there is any cached connection, but not Recent Sources.

This UI needs fixing_5.jpg

I just installed SQL Anyway 17 and tried to get data in latest PBI Desktop. I can get the authentication screen if there is no cached connection as below.

This UI needs fixing_1.jpgThis UI needs fixing_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks. I could see the saved connections in Global Settings. However I still need to verify that the two screens are working as expected.

@mysorian I don't know if this answer is what you are looking for, but the data sources that you connect to will be stored. If you want to reset them, you can delete or edit the cached connection by going to options and settings -> data source settings -> global permissions -> select the data source and either clear permission or edit permissions.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I think the datasouce is cached only after it was once successfully connected. When I tried to connect to SQL Anywhere 17 I did not have a previous connection.

Recentsources.png

mysorian
Helper I
Helper I

Of course this fix is needed for a specific task.

I was able to connect to SQL Anywhere 16 database from Powr BI using the Sybase Databases drop-down in Get Data.

See details here:

http://hodentek.blogspot.com/2015/02/powerbi-preview-reporting-from-sql_13.html

I updated the Power BI to the August update. SAP has updated their SQL Anywhere 16 to SQL Anywhere 17. now I try to connect to SQL Anywhere 17 just like I did in the case of SQL Anywhere 16.

This is where the UI needs a fix.

It comes up with the following screen:

Sorry, Insert/Edit image in this forum does not have a browse button to upload an image!!!! Perhaps this needs fixing first (OK, Let me go to Firefox and try. I will save this and comeback in another browser.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.