Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SCA01
Frequent Visitor

This Model Does Not Have a Named Expression

This problem is becoming more generalized in our desktop reports and is caused by Measure tables. Finding information on the problem is difficult and I have seen many solutions and tried several, changing name of the table, enabling/disabling load, renaming, etc. The problem is that the solutions are not repeatable, I had one report that every time I  refresh I have to change the name of the measure table over and over again. Does anyone have a technical document that describes the root cause of this problem so that we are not trying multiple solutions whenever the problem occurs?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you have the Enhanced Dataset Metadata preview feature enabled (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-enhanced-dataset-metadata)?  If so, we're aware of an issue that causes the missing named expression error on refresh/apply changes if you have a table that contains measures/calc columns but no data columns. The workaround for now, as you've already observed, is to add a column to the "measure-only" tables.

Once the fix is released, you will not need this placeholder column.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SCA01
Frequent Visitor

I believe I found another possible solution to the problem. When creating a measure table in the desktop, you create the table, create your first measure and then delete the column in the desktop. Collapse and expand the Fields section and that measure table now has a measure table icon in front of it instead of the table icon. I went into the query editor, deleted the "Removed Columns" step and then removed the column in the query editor. Refreshed the preview and applied changes, no error. Will continue to monitor this in other reports.  

Do you have the Enhanced Dataset Metadata preview feature enabled (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-enhanced-dataset-metadata)?  If so, we're aware of an issue that causes the missing named expression error on refresh/apply changes if you have a table that contains measures/calc columns but no data columns. The workaround for now, as you've already observed, is to add a column to the "measure-only" tables.

Once the fix is released, you will not need this placeholder column.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SCA01 ,

You may refer to the similar cases:

Power BI desktop refresh not working ,

PBI Desktop won't let me discard query changes ,

Error message " "The model doesn't have a named expression named <Query>" after clicking 'Apply' .

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support , Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET", or go to Issue forum  to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.