Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danzrust
Helper IV
Helper IV

This Error Drives Me Nuts: Unexpected Error Value cannot be null parameter name: key

Guys,

there is some UI error in PBI Desktop.

I am connected to internal analysis services. Whenever I want to create New Measure and don't select the dimension where to put the new measure and start creating the new measure, I immediately get this error:
Capture 1.PNG

The new measure is being created under a new unnamed dimension. You cannot delete the measure, nor the dimension.

Capture 2.PNG

Another problem when you create this error metric is created is that you can no longer create any new measure until you get rid of the error one.

The only way how get rid of this crap is to save, close, restart PBI. Then you can remove the error measure.

So how to add a new measure when connected to analysis services? At first you need to click e.g. "Account" dimension, and then the new measure will be created under the Account.

DZ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@danzrust,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI Desktop May release, please update your Desktop to latest version and check the result.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@danzrust,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? And why do you have a unnamed table and create measure under this unnamed table?

In Power BI Desktop, generally, we click "New Measure" under Modeling ribbon or right click a table and then select "New Measure" to create a new measure.
1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I am using April 2018 release, havent updated to May yet.

For the "new table" - that's the thing I am NOT creating it. It gets created automatically when creating new measure...

This issue is only happening to me when I am connected to internal data cubes.

If my source is CSV or something more simple, the measure is always created in an already existing table and nothing breaks.

DZ

@danzrust,

I am unable to reproduce this issue in Power BI Desktop May release, please update your Desktop to latest version and check the result.

Regards,
Lydia

OK, seems like the May release fixed the issue 🙂

DZ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.