Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kumar11109
Helper IV
Helper IV

There's Not Enough Memory To Complete This Operation

Hi All, 

I am loading the data from SQL server. I am trying to refresh the data for my tables. But the data is not able to refresh and the below is message is reported: 

The operation could not be completed as you do not enough memory. Please try again after you have enough memory. Please some body can help. FYI I have 8 gb of Ram. 

32 REPLIES 32

Powerbi is a memory hog so running with just 4gb is going to be challenging.

Whats your data source? Can you filter/sort it before loading?

However I did some tests on a 140Mb file and it tended to only use about 0.6G extra ram during the load on top of powerbi's intital size.

Doing a group by and big pivot took upto 3gb extra.

Well. I think maybe I need a better laptop. Thank you so much for your reply.

no, file has just 24MB  :-).

- I have extra virtual machine for that, so all memory is just for powerBI.  Complete refresh works ok just with 64GB ram.

- I am using just important columns and only one year (bookeeping). Problem is that I have there about 50 companies, not big data, just two have about 100k rows, but most of other has just about 10-20k rows.

I suppose the problem is not because of amount of rows, but becuase of 50 data sources.

- I tried that function "separately refreshing" or so, but it didnt help.

Do you have 64 bit Power BI?  If not, you should get it. 

How many columns in your tables you are loading?  If you have more than 15 in a large table, then try removing columns you don’t need

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I have already installed 64 bit Power BI Desktop and the number of rows are obviously more than 15 as there too many tables. 

@Kumar11109 wrote:

the number of rows are obviously more than 15 as there too many tables. 

It is not the rows that matter, it is the columns.  My question was how many columns do you have.  I don't know what "too many tables" means

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington

Hi Matt, 

I am really sorry, I meant that 15 columns only. And I have 8 tables with relationship across them and no table has more than 15 columns individually, but if combined, then yes. 

Thank You, 

Hi @Kumar11109,

The error message means you don't have enough memory. Please extend your memory as much as possible. You can refer to this article(though the article is about PowerPivot, it should be similar with Power BI) to optimize your data model in a way that makes a better use the available memory. For another thing, if you upload the data in import model, please disable "Allow data preview to download in the background" from options / options and settings/data load. And check if it is useful.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft

I tried using the above details, but still to no avail.... :-C. 

Hi @Kumar11109,

When you create a simple table in Power BI desktop, there is no problem for Power BI function. You have to extend your memory.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Ram ??? if I have to increase it, then would 16gb be enough??

When I had there only 15 sql databases  (company bookeepings) it need just about 16GB ram during total refresh.

Now I have there about 39 companies and it need 41GB of RAM.  I had to ask my bosses for stop buying new companies 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.