Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Themes messed up on new Filter Pane

I have had the new Filter Experience enabled for quite some time now, and in a model with a custom Theme. Today I opened the model and the new Filter Pane looked horrible! It picked up Theme colors that did not work together. So I went about fixing it. Manually:

On EACH PAGE of the report (and there are quite a few) I had to re-set the colors used by the Filter pane AND the Filter Cards. 

Then, I noticed that some of the Cards did NOT pick up my settings. 

As soon as I click the "Apply filter" on a card added to the pane, it switches the colors on me to have a RED font foreground instead of the BLACK I have specified in Filter Cards formatting options.

If I have a list type filter, as soon as I select a value, it changes the color from black to red. Unselect or clear the filter values and it goes back to black font. What is going on?

Why is there not a GLOBAL format option for the Filter Pane. Why must I be required to make the changes on each and every page?

BTW, My JSON Theme file does NOT have any specifications for Filter Pane colors. 

I see this as a BUG. 

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

3 REPLIES 3
Drewdel
Advocate II
Advocate II

The new filter pane uses .json theming by default, at least from what I can tell.  Here's the theming I created for my company's theme file with the "filterCard" being what controls the filter pane.  So if you're using a .json theme you can just add this and edit it to way you.  Hope this helps.

"visualStyles":{
	"*":{
		"*":{
			"filterCard":[
				{
					"$id":"Applied"
					,"backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#666666"}}
					,"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#f4f6f9"}}
					,"transparency":0
					,"textSize":8
					,"fontFamily":""
					,"border":false
					,"borderColor":{"solid":{"color":"#3498db"}}
					,"inputBoxColor":{"solid":{"color":"#333333"}}
				}
				,{
					"$id":"Available"
					,"backgroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#333333"}}
					,"foregroundColor":{"solid":{"color":"#f4f6f9"}}
					,"transparency":25
					,"textSize":8
					,"fontFamily":""
					,"border":true
					,"borderColor":{"solid":{"color":"#f4f6f9"}}
					,"inputBoxColor":{"solid":{"color":"#333333"}}
				}
			]
		}
	}
}
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ToddChitt 

Try the latest version of Power BI Desktop and create a support ticket if necessary.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Apparently, at some point, the new Filter Pane took on the formatting of any custom theme file, utilizing the background and foreground attributes in the colors section. 

The documentation on Themes is fair at best. There is no mention of the Filter Pane, mostly because the page was authored over a year ago, and the Filter Pane is only a few months old. 

I wish there was a way to specify in the JSON theme the colors to be used by the Filter Pane. If anyone has input on that, I would love to hear it. 

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.