Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Themes - font size issue

I have a dozen of matrix tables in several reports. I am not satisfied with the font its have (not looks good).

My idea is to use Themes to change a font size in all my reports.

I downloaded a json file template from:

https://github.com/deldersveld/PowerBI-ThemeTemplates

Then with Switch/Import Themes option in Power BI Destop tried to implement this theme on my test matrix. 

The result is some other formatting attributes changed but not a font. In any place like column headers, rows and values font stayed as in original format.

Do not know why. What is a reason, what is wrong here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

This behaviour is by design. Please refer to desktop-report-themes#situations-when-report-theme-colors-wont-stick-to-your-reports. The customization by users will be respected. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please add a "fontFamily" parameter if needed. Reference: power-bi/desktop-report-themes.

"fontFamily": "Cambria"

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This is what I use:

{ 
    "name": "Presentation", 
    "dataColors": ["#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000", "#000000"],
    "background":"#FFFFFF",
    "foreground": "#000000",
    "tableAccent": "#000000",
    "visualStyles": {
    		"*": {
        		"*": {
            			"*": [{
                			"fontSize": "18"
            			}]
        		}
    		}
	}
}

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

I noticed imported themes do not affect existing visualisations. If I create new visualisation I see it uses new theme but new theme does not affect previously made visualisations. I tested my code and Greg's one. To reproduce this issue just create any matrix table using any sample of data then implement Greg's theme - in my case theres is no effect. 

I am using Power BI desktop. Should I do refresh or something after implementing a theme?

Hi @Anonymous,

The whole report will apply the new theme immediately when the new theme is imported. Did you use the latest version of Power BI? Please upgrade first. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am using the latest desktop version. I think I know where the issue is.

Based on further tests. Left table on the screen below is a newly created one. Right one is previously existing in a report

Let me go through some scenarios:

Scenario 1) - Before applying the theme

1.PNG

Scenario 2) - After applying Greg's theme

2.PNG

Scenario 3) - After applying Greg's theme and Columns Header -> Revert to default

3.PNG4.PNG

Scenario 4) - After applying Greg's theme, Columns Header  and Row Header -> Revert to default

5.PNG

Scenario 5) - After applying Greg's theme, Columns Header, Row Header and Values -> Revert to default

6.PNG

If I have a visualisation in my report and make formatting changes in sections:

- column header

- row header

- values

And then import a new theme, the theme will not apply in those sections. I have to "revert to default" beforehand.

My conclusion is it seems to be a bug or a significant limitation of Themes. It is hard to trust Themes now, its behaviour is unpredictible.

Hi @Anonymous,

This behaviour is by design. Please refer to desktop-report-themes#situations-when-report-theme-colors-wont-stick-to-your-reports. The customization by users will be respected. 

Best Regards,

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.