Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lsstacey

The user was not authorized - Power BI Desktop

Having issues when editing an existing connection. 

I am using Power BI desktop connecting to tables in SQL Azure. 

I have no issues connecting from SQL Server Mgmt Studio - using the same credentials.

I am using an existing model and editing the connection through:

• Advanced Editor
  • Select Data Dim
  • Select Source from Query Settings
  • Right click on Source - > Edit Settings
  • Type in database I am using
  • Add Query into SQL Statement box -> click OK
  • Access a SQL Server Database dialog appears
  • Select Database from right side (not windows – tried this too and does not work)
  • Enter Username and Password
  • Select radio button for Azure connection
  • Click connect
  • Get The user was not authorized error
19 REPLIES 19
Furanity
Helper I
Helper I

I had the same issue and wasn't able to get it to work with a Windows account. Either I got the user not authorized error, or I got an impersonation is not allowed error.

As described in some post I was able to get it working with a SQL account by using the "Database" tab when creating the connection. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did anyone get help on this matter? We're still facing the same issue.

@jjsuominen Can you send us a frown, including your trace files?

To enable tracing: File -> Options and Settings -> Diagnostics -> Enable tracing checkbox

And then reproduce the failure, there should be some new files in the Traces folder. Can you include those files in your Frown email?

Thanks

ArnorBld

Same here.  I just downloaded Power BI and I cannot connect to MS-SQL or MySQL data sources.  Local or online.  

Best regards,

Hi,

I started facing the same issue while connecting to SQL Server through Power BI since yesterday, although it used to work fine earlier. I was able to connect directly to SQL Server, but was facing issue while connecting through Power BI. 

I kept trying to login and finally it worked today. Not sure about the reason for the error though.

Hi,

It makes no difference what I do, it will not connect.  I am able to connect to .csv files 😉  it doesn't even see my mySQL ODBC connections when I select to get data from ODBC.  It doesn't seem like there is any support for this product...

Best regards,

Arnor

Did someone already Send a Frown about this issue ? Can you also send the traces ?
You can enable Tracing from File->Options & Settings -> Options-> Diagnostics.

@ArnorBld@vanessa@ScottMack@wr_adamj Sorry no one has had the answer, sometimes you have to fully qualify, or use server\instance,etc. Try different ways to connect. If you have all already tried that, I would encourage you to open a basic support ticket and add in any errors you are getting. The support ticket system has been pretty decent for me, and they will be able to help you troubleshoot things better using that method. The Community isn't really monitored by any support personel from my understanding. It's more to answer questions about functionality, use, etc.

Hope you all get this resolved!

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978,

Thank you for your response!  

I found the source of MY issue and it's very simple!  When trying to access a SQL server, after I enter the server name the "Access a SQL Server Database" window comes up.  All I needed to do was select "Database" on the left and then enter the credentials.  What I had tried to use was the "Windows" section with "Use alternate credentials"  I don't generally work with databases that allow windows authentication so I simply wasn't entering the right data in the right place!

Best regards,

Arnor

Thanks ArnorBld, this was exactly my issue.

I have no idea what 'connect using alternative credentials' could mean other than 'manually type in a user and pass to connect to the database server' but it clearly means something else. 

Bit of bad interface design I think....

But as with you, once I had changed that little tab on the left to 'database' instead of 'windows' it all worked fine.

zz-grab-333.jpg

just wish I had have found that info 2 hours ago..

cheers,

James

Hi James,

I think it means that you can use difference windows credentials.  Say you are logged in as James, but you have another account on your computer that you need to use to log into to the SQL database.  Then you could use the "Use alternate credentials"  It isn't clear at all, but once I realized the "tabs" on the left it made sense.  

Best regards,

Arnor

Hi there,

Does the SQL Server Instance to be configured to allow remote connections to the server option checked to use the Power BI Desktop ?

Power BI Error 2.PNG

Can somebody confirm this ?

Cheers,

Anoop

Hi Anoop, 

On my server, this option has been enabled. Not really sure but happens when I switch it off - rather not test that either, you know, with the risk of disconnecting users and stuff 😉

Thanks Eno1978 -- I played around a bit more this morning and was to connect to the server if I no longer listed the database.

Thanks, ScottMack. That did it for me. Just left off the database name and it opened correctly. 

Hi,

Is anyone still having this problem, or did it start working again for everyone?

emteka
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue - Microsoft: Is there any answer ?

I'm having the same issue. I can conncet to the same database with the same credentials from other apps but not from Power BI Desktop. Attempting to connect to a local SQL server. Triple checked the connection path and credentials. No difference if running Power BI as an administrator.

Did either of you ever find a solution?

Add me to the list -- had no problems two days ago, now receiving the same error (but can also access the database via SSMS).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors