Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChristopheJ
Regular Visitor

The right Offline Tool

Hi everybody,

My customer want to use PowerBI with the capacity to explore Reports on Offline mod.

He wants to continue to set filter, add column, create new pivot table...

My question is : could we say PowerBI desktop is the right tool to do that using "import data source"?

When he wants to refresh data, he will go to click on the right butonn. The query could be long but he will have the advantages to use the report offline.

Somebody already use this solution?

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ChristopheJ,

Yes, I think Power BI Desktop is an "industrial" solution. But every organization has its own special request. To explain more clear, we can compare the PBI Desktop with the Office Excel. The Power BI Desktop, only the Power BI Desktop App, is quite similar to Excel while the Desktop focuses on the data analysis. The one who has the pbix file has the full Edit permission. Then you have to keep the file safe and restrict the accesses in the data source.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ChristopheJ,

Yes, I can say Power BI Desktop is the right tool. Please try it out. Reference: power-bi/desktop-getting-started.

The_right_Offline_Tool

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Could we say it is an "industrial" solution. Because we could need to deploy this solution for many field people.

So we have to organize the .pibx distribution, the update of this pibx... and also to anticipate the performance if many people refresh in same time the .pibx.

I suppose it is not possible to manage security if we want to push only the datas regardings the area of one person without creating several .pibx with the the right filters.

Best regards.

Hi @ChristopheJ,

Yes, I think Power BI Desktop is an "industrial" solution. But every organization has its own special request. To explain more clear, we can compare the PBI Desktop with the Office Excel. The Power BI Desktop, only the Power BI Desktop App, is quite similar to Excel while the Desktop focuses on the data analysis. The one who has the pbix file has the full Edit permission. Then you have to keep the file safe and restrict the accesses in the data source.

Best Regards,

Dale

Thanks a lot.

We are going to explore this resolution.

Thanks a lot

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.