Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0.dll is missing

After installing the december 2018 version, Power BI Desktop fails on startup with: The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. I've seen this on two different windows 2012 r2 servers. No problems on my win 10 enterprise client. Why the problem on server 2012 r2? Regards Henrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

I install Power BI Desktop December release(2.65.5313.1381) in a Windows server 2012 R2, there is no issue launching Power  BI Desktop. It seems that the issue is specific for your own operating system. Do you get the same issue when installing Power BI Desktop December release in other OS?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ahmedoye
Resolver III
Resolver III

You will have this error once your PC is missing some drivers required to run Power BI. Unfortunately, you won’t see this in the specification of requirements for Power BI installation. You will have to download and install that driver and everything will be back to normal.

Fortunately, i just wrote about this on my blog here on how you can resolve this issue painlessly. This requires downloading and installing Microsoft C ++ Redistributable. Check it out here Most Common Power BI Installation Errors And Their Solutions - Foresight BI - Achieve More With Less

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Maybe some operations you take on the operating system or some virus software delete this dll file accidentally. I would recommend you run windows update regularly to ensure operating system is in a healthy status before installing Power BI Desktop. 

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia.

I dont think thats the problem, because when I uninstall the december version and reinstall the november version, Power BI Desktop starts without problems. Any ideas?

Regards

Henrik

@Anonymous,

I install Power BI Desktop December release(2.65.5313.1381) in a Windows server 2012 R2, there is no issue launching Power  BI Desktop. It seems that the issue is specific for your own operating system. Do you get the same issue when installing Power BI Desktop December release in other OS?

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia

I downloaded a new installation file, an now Power BI Desktop runs without problems.

As you said - it is Version: 2.65.5313.1381 64-bit (december 2018).

I had the issue on two different server 2012 r2 - no idea why, but most important, that its running again.

Thanks for the reply

Henrik

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.