Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The percentage calculating incorrectly

Dear All,

I have economic activities, for example, activity 1, ..., activity n. Further, activities contain X number of companies. Profit of the activity is formed by the sum of profits of companies that belongs to this activity. So currently I need to calculate the share of companies within the economic activity. 

I am using the following measure:

Share company= 100*(DIVIDE((SUM(Powerbi[Profit])),CALCULATE(SUM(Powerbi[Profit]), Powerbi[Company], Powerbi[Economic activities])))

Unfortunately this calculating company shares from the total profit of all economic activities. So, total profit 5 000 000, while total profit for activity 1 is equal to 4 000 000. Therefore, the share of companies that belongs to activity 1 is calculating from 5 000 000 not 4 000 000. Where is my mistake?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

I see your latest screenshot. Do you have two tables in your data model? There should be key columns like [Economic Activity] in both tables. Or you couldn't relate two tables in your calcualte.

Activity Table:

1.png

Company Table:

2.png

Measure:

Percentage = 
VAR _Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Activity[Profit]),FILTER(Activity,Activity[Economic activities] = EARLIER(Company[Activity])))
RETURN
DIVIDE(Company[Profit],_Total)

Result:

3.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hi manap

Click here to download a solution 

Please leave kudos if it solves your problem

It is best practive to breakdown complex DAX measure into easy chunks that you can test and reuse ....

I have created 3 measures and used a % format rather than multiply by 100

Profits =
-- get the profits
SUM(Sales[Profit])

Profit for all companies =
-- get profit for all companies within the current context.
-- The ALL command with keep the row Activity context but changes the row Company context to all.
CALCULATE(
[Profits],
ALL(Sales[Company])
)

% profit of all activity =
-- get the % of profits for all the activity
DIVIDE( [Profits] , [Profit for all companies] )

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried your method, but it resulted 1 for all companies

Hi @Anonymous 

I see your latest screenshot. Do you have two tables in your data model? There should be key columns like [Economic Activity] in both tables. Or you couldn't relate two tables in your calcualte.

Activity Table:

1.png

Company Table:

2.png

Measure:

Percentage = 
VAR _Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Activity[Profit]),FILTER(Activity,Activity[Economic activities] = EARLIER(Company[Activity])))
RETURN
DIVIDE(Company[Profit],_Total)

Result:

3.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Please provide sample data or a PBIX file and a depiction of the expected outcome 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

manap_0-1633945541784.png

Here is a screenshort 

We are going to need sample data of the actual structure of the tables. The depiction you have provided does not allow to establish a relationship between the two tables shown.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What about this

manap_0-1633948716767.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous try this:

Share company=var CurrentActivity=Powerbi[Economic activities]

return DIVIDE(SUM(Powerbi[Profit]),SUMX(FILTER(Powerbi,Powerbi[Economic activities]=CurrentActivity),Powerbi[Profit]))*100

Anonymous
Not applicable

how to create this var CurrentActivity=Powerbi[Economic activities] if I have a column.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrap the column into VALUES(), that is:

var CurrentActivity=VALUES(Powerbi[Economic activities])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.