Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

zivhimmel
Resolver I
Resolver I

The new desktop feature allowing conenction to a live Power BI dataset

Hi all,

The new feature in the April 2017 release, allowing conenction to a live Power BI dataset, seems like an important one, 

but then I thought about it, and I cannot find a reason why this is any different than creating reports on the service(using the browser) on top of an existing dataset.

I'm sure I'm missing something. What is it?

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can still create reports in Service, but a large set of advantages exist because Desktop offers a richer authoring experience, you can more easily have a PBIX in source control, you don't get multiple datasets that contain the same model when deploying multiple Desktop reports to Service, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

You can still create reports in Service, but a large set of advantages exist because Desktop offers a richer authoring experience, you can more easily have a PBIX in source control, you don't get multiple datasets that contain the same model when deploying multiple Desktop reports to Service, etc.

Thanks @deldersveld, I think that the richer experience with Power BI desktop has to do mostly with working on the dataset(adding columns, measures etc.) which isn't relevant to a live connection to a Power BI dataset, and in addition,

when you create reports on the service, they don't result in multiple datasets as well.

However, your source control argument wins. Haven't thought about it. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.