Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

emzbr
Employee
Employee

The model doesn't have a table named X

I made the mistake of changing a table name in query edit mode from Activities to _Activities and now, when I try to refresh, I get the following error "The model doesn't have a table named Activities". I then tried to go back to the original name, yet I still get the error, this time "The model doesn't have a table named _Activities".

How do I get unstuck..?

Thank you!

Emma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@emzbr ,

Try to rename the table in The Fields pane.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Polochkinov

I recommend deleting the query/table that creates the issue (but copy the advanced editor section) and recreate it after. It solved it for me.

You might have to recreate the relationship afterward.

Joris_NL
Helper I
Helper I

I had a similar problem and found the solution.

After an update in the database, I had to rename all my tables from ALL-CAPS to Normal-Caps. So following your example, I changed 'ACTIVITIES' to 'Activities' - and renamed all corresponding query steps, column names etc. When trying to apply the query changes, I got the following error:

The model doesn't have a table named Activities 2.

Even though the query didn't mention 'Activities 2', and never did. I double checked this by copying the query to Word (or NotePad) and searched ctrl+f. No 'Activities 2' ever existed in my entire file. Why it asked for number 2, I never found out, but I did find a solution.

First I added a new table, called 'Activities 2'. This resulted in the error message saying:

The model doesn't have a table named Activities 2 2.

So that wasn't going to work. The solution, however, was to change the name of the original 'Activities' table to 'Activities 2'.

This solved the issue and everything worked again - although I had to repeat this step for all other tables. Funnily enough, after applying the query changes I could change the name 'Activities 2' back to 'Activities' as if nothing ever happened.

Most software doesn't allow for multiple files with the same name, irrespective of caps. So when changing ACTIVITIES to Activities, it might make a copy (number 2) behind the screens. Thogether with a database update, this might mess things up. But it's only a guess. 

Hope this helps for future troubleshooting!

Joris

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried the solution (the names are identical, I still tried to copy/paste from one to another), but it didn't work. I also watched the recommended video, but this was for a measure, not a table, not found. I can't find any other solutions anywhere. Can anyone help? Thanks.

The message I get is the same: 

"The model doesn't have a table named <name of table>"

Actually the video is also for a table and not a measure.  It's for a measure table though...

Is your table also a measure table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it is not. 

OK, then the issue might be a different one than in the video. I haven't had this issue in years and don't have a file that has the same issue so unfortunately, I can't help with it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case anyone runs into this issue, I had to recreate the entire pbix (what a pain). I wasn't able to get rid of the error. So word of caution, if you make changes to your appended or merged table, applying the changes may not recognize your tables anymore. 😞

Pascal_KTeam
Resolver I
Resolver I

Normally this error is related to the issue explained in this video

https://youtu.be/jp0-ryvw9EM

thanks for the help!

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@emzbr ,

Try to rename the table in The Fields pane.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION NOT SURE HOW THIS WAS ACCPETED AS A SOLUTION

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.