Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ironpixel
Employee
Employee

The field 'FileLeafRef.Suffix' of the record wasn't found.

Hello,

I have a number of refreshes failing due to "The field 'FileLeafRef.Suffix' of the record wasn't found."

Does anyone konw what might be going on?

I have tried manual refreshes within the workspace and via desktop.

Through the Query Editor I see this is failing on some Excel files on Sharepoint so I checked permissions and nothing says things have changed, and the files are still there.

Lineage view shows all connections are successful but the refresh is failing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I actually just removed the filter and sort all together.

Your solution might have been better, but at least this way if something changes for sort and filter again then by removing them I won't have to worry about it.

Whats strange is these querries have been working fine for months, then the night of the 20th they all broke.  Feels like there was a release somewhere that broke it all, in SharePoint or PBI I dont' know.

Unfortunately the error messaging sent me down the path of permissions which was wrong.

Thanks for the post!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good news,

MS has fixed the problem the Extension column no longer returns an error.

The PBI reports are already updated normally.

😉

hornbeam
Employee
Employee

I have noticed that is the case with Sharepoint files, the file extension is not being read correctly - for my reports i have fixed it by changing the following line in the advanced editor in M query. 

FROM - 

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Extension] = ".xlsx") and ([Name] = <FileName>))

TO - 
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Name] = <File Name>

I actually just removed the filter and sort all together.

Your solution might have been better, but at least this way if something changes for sort and filter again then by removing them I won't have to worry about it.

Whats strange is these querries have been working fine for months, then the night of the 20th they all broke.  Feels like there was a release somewhere that broke it all, in SharePoint or PBI I dont' know.

Unfortunately the error messaging sent me down the path of permissions which was wrong.

Thanks for the post!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Ironpixel probably some column name in the excel file is changed which is used in PQ and that's why it is failing. Go thru each Power Query step and check at which steps it fails and debug from there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @parry2k 

"Through the Query Editor I see this is failing on some Excel files on Sharepoint so I checked permissions and nothing says things have changed, and the files are still there."

Some of the excel files have additional lines of data, some of the files haven't changed at all.

This seems to be happening at loading of the excel file and my permissions haven't changed.

This is happening on multiple excel files across mulitple Power BI files.

_Still looking.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.