cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbief Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

The dreaded "SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR" Function

Hi Guys - I was wondering if someone could perhaps help....  I've spent a day on this, read just about every forum post, but I'm clearly missing something in relation to the SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function.

Details:

I have a Transaction DB - Consumed into PowerBi via Odata

I have a seperate Calendar DB I created in PowerBi (Well formed)

On the transaction DB - I have created the following measures:

Sum of Sales -->  Sum of Sales = SUM (Transactions[amount])

Year to Date Sum of Sales -->  YTDSumOfSales = TOTALYTD([Sum of Sales],'CALENDAR'[Date])

Last Year Sales -->  SalesLastYTD = CALCULATE([YTDSumOfSales], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('CALENDAR'[Date]))

For some reason the Last Year Sales Measure is moving the measure ahead; instead of behind (IE - 2018, insted of 2016) - Here is what the table of the data looks like the below.

Essentially I am trying to create some KPI Scorecards to show you how you are trading against Last YTD / Last MTD / Last WTD / This Week vs Last Year This Week / Today vs Today Last Year.

Any direction would be well recieved!

PowerBi.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
mattbrice Senior Member

Re: The dreaded "SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR" Function

Not sure what you mean. Results look as expected.  2017 SalesLastYTD is showing 2016 YTDSumOfSales, etc.  

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
mattbrice Senior Member

Not sure what you mean. Results look as expected.  2017 SalesLastYTD is showing 2016 YTDSumOfSales, etc.  

Robbief Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.  I ended up going in circles; and getting confused with the Sameperiodlastyear / parrallelperiod / dateadd.....  But I realised I was being stupid, and after reading a few more articles, i figured it out. 

This really helped:

https://www.kasperonbi.com/powerpivot-dax-parallelperiod-vs-dateadd/