Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

P8MCP
Frequent Visitor

The data in my report is somehow different than it is in Power Query?

Hi Guys,

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but never before have I came across this issue with Power BI and I can't figure out what the problem is.

So, I have created 3 conditional columns (Severity Number, Impact Number and RAG Score) in Power Query as per below

P8MCP_0-1673629760255.png

Then when I close and load the data, these are the results I'm getting in my tables and visuals:

P8MCP_1-1673629891100.png

No further calculations were done, I have cleared my cache and refreshed everything in both Power Query and in the report view and still, these numbers are somehow changing from 5, 5 and 25, to 15, 15 and 75. Anyone know what I am doing wrong as I am baffled?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @P8MCP ,

I guess you have 3 records (possibly duplicate) for NSP-840 in your source file. Hence after load, the numbers are getting aggregated. If that's not the case, I would try to define the Severtiry number as Text (as the output format in calculation) and later convert to number if required.

Best Luck!

Regards!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
alekhved
Resolver I
Resolver I

hi @P8MCP 

Can we know what's the calculation used in conditional columns?

Thanks!

hi @alekhved 

Sure of course. So the data I have for Severity and Impact is structured like this in the source "1 - Very Low", "2 - Low", "3 - Medium" etc.

So for both the "Severity Number" and "Impact Number" columns, I have extracted the numbers to do my calculations as per below:

P8MCP_0-1673630809869.png

Then the RAG Score is a simple multiplication of both of these columns together. In Power Query my results looks perfect, with nothing scoring over 25 (as it should be) which can be seen below:

P8MCP_1-1673631030342.png

These are the last steps in my Power Query so nothing else has been done after this, yet my results are still different when loaded 😞 

hi @P8MCP ,

I guess you have 3 records (possibly duplicate) for NSP-840 in your source file. Hence after load, the numbers are getting aggregated. If that's not the case, I would try to define the Severtiry number as Text (as the output format in calculation) and later convert to number if required.

Best Luck!

Regards!

Hi @alekhved

Accepting this as the solution as defining the Severity and Impact as Text done the trick. I've been developing on Power BI for 3 years and never knew this could happen, nor do I understand why 🙃 but hey ho. Thanks so much you've really helped me out for going into the new working week!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.