Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The best way to get random data from a table

I have a list with 532 rows. Those rows are splitted by months (like 200 rows as January, 200 rows as February and 132 rows as March).

What is the best way to add column with unique random number between 1 and 532?

I tried 

Random = RANDBETWEEN( 1 , COUNTROWS(NETWORK_ORDER) )

But it generates duplicates.

What I want to achieve is to be able to randomly select 50 rows from each month.

I thought to generate this unique random value and them apply some filters.

What do you think?

1 REPLY 1
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi ,

You may try to use the INDEX column to get unique numbers.

Below is something that I came across in a blog. You can try doing it this way to get unique Random values.

In DAX, you can use RAND() function  to generate random numbers. Similarly, to generate random numbers between two numbers, use  RANDBETWEEN().

In Power Query, List.Random() creates a list of random numbers, while Number.Random() creates a single random number. You can add an index column before using the Number.Random() to get different random numbers on each row. You can delete the index column after the Number.Random() step. There isn't a List.RandomBetween() but Number.RandomBetween() can be used along with index column to generate numbers between two specified values.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.