Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mibu
Employee
Employee

'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction. '.

Hi Everyone,

I am simply trying to pull in a simple dimension Excel file...  like I have done many times before...  and am getting the following error message:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction. '.

Pls let me know if you have had any experience with this error message.

Thanks!

mibu

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @jagatho,

Thanks so much.  Your feedback gave me the idea to Match Exactly the headers of the Excel Dimension file I have been trying to load…  with the corresponding column of the Cube to which I am connecting.  In previous attempt where I got afore mentioned error message, they were not named identically, not even close.

Naming columns identically in both files…  allowed Power BI to load the Excel Dimension file without an error message.  Funny, it did not autodetect the relationship between the newly named column in my Excel Dimension file and corresponding column in Cube.  No matter…  I was able to create the relationship manually, Close & Apply, and again, no error message.  I am back up and running.

Again, thanks so much for your feedback…  it spurred the thought that lead to a solution.

Very best,

mibu

View solution in original post

Thanks @Anonymous!  I appreciate the feedback.

I also found that Deleting all rows under last line of data in table...  and deleting all columns to the right of last column of data in table, eliminated the error message and allowed Refresh to occur.

best,

mibu

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I run into this problem yesterday and found the solution on StackOverflow.

In File, Options, Current File, Data Load, Relationships disable Autodetect new relationships after data is loaded.

Thanks @Anonymous!  I appreciate the feedback.

I also found that Deleting all rows under last line of data in table...  and deleting all columns to the right of last column of data in table, eliminated the error message and allowed Refresh to occur.

best,

mibu

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same error, after so many attempts i tried by changing relationship from 'both' to 'Single' and error gone. this is not I want. but as there is no other solution.

we are using PBIRS Sept 2019 version.

jagatho
Frequent Visitor

It has to do with the auto detection of relationships.

If I remove the column that would make sense that Power BI would predict having a relationship between tables and added a new one with the same name with null values in two PowerQuery steps, then I can load the data.

After the initial load I can remove the two steps and everything works, because it only tries to detect relationships on the initial load.

Hi @jagatho,

Thanks so much.  Your feedback gave me the idea to Match Exactly the headers of the Excel Dimension file I have been trying to load…  with the corresponding column of the Cube to which I am connecting.  In previous attempt where I got afore mentioned error message, they were not named identically, not even close.

Naming columns identically in both files…  allowed Power BI to load the Excel Dimension file without an error message.  Funny, it did not autodetect the relationship between the newly named column in my Excel Dimension file and corresponding column in Cube.  No matter…  I was able to create the relationship manually, Close & Apply, and again, no error message.  I am back up and running.

Again, thanks so much for your feedback…  it spurred the thought that lead to a solution.

Very best,

mibu

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@mibu,

Check this post and create a support ticket if necessary.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-chuncz-msft,

I removed the filters from the source Excel file and continue to get the same error message, attached.Capture.PNG

Restart your device

I have created a support ticket and will advise if I get an answer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mibu,

Was a resolution provided for this error?  I just received this today. 

Thanks,

Meg

Hi @Anonymous, check out last post in thread for a possible solution. best, mibu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors