Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gtutusaus
Frequent Visitor

The automated date table creates dates from 1899 (negative numbers) to 2077

I'm absolutely lost. I have found nothing like this problem in internet. 

I created 4 queries (get&transform) to upload data from some folders. The ETL processes and the schema are perfectly connected and running. I even added steps to change the locale in each column to es-CO.

After I had everything checked, I created a "Date Table" but even before connecting it to the data model, I realised about two funny things:

• The function for the day number of the week, weekday() is throwing #ERROR: "An argument of the function has the wrong data type or the result is too large or to small."
  • The calendar built starts in 1/1/1899 and 2077.

So, then I tried with getting the int from those dates. They were negative.

I connected the date table to the data model but it didn't work. What could be happening?

Thanks!
Gerónimo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, MarcelBeug.

Didn't know here about a rule for cross-posting in this forum. I'm being adding the links everywhere I've seen it is required and I always keep updated every post I create. You can see that everywhere.

I think that some momentos ago, I kind of understood what was happening. It was hard to see as there were at least 2 issues mixed:

• Firstly, some birthdates are wrong. I could not get any help in internet on how to replace in PowerQuery just years so I decided to convert the field into text.
  • Secondly, I didn't know that the date table doesn't work with time (hours and minutes) so it wasn't matching the PK to any field in the data model. I decided then to transform every date/time format into just date format.

Thanks, everybody for your support and patience. This issues were driving me crazy. Unfortunately, I didn't get all the answers but at least I came up with something that works for me.

Best,

Gerónimo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @gtutusaus

How are you creating your date table?  There a quite a few ways these helpful tables can be build and knowing a little about how you've built yours may help use diagnose.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks! Just with the automated option in PowerPivot

In Excel?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

yes, in excel...

Do you know by the way to replace dates with null if they are before 1900? I am now trying this approach... this might be the problem for some birthdates

This topic is now ongoing on (at least) 3 forums, that's exactly the reaon why cross posting is not appreciated as people try to help at one place, while the solution may already be found at anoter place.

So @gtutusaus if you post your topic on multiple forums, please keep each post updated with all information from all forums.

Or better: please mark 1 as the leading topic and indicate in the others that further information should be added to the leading topic to which you will provide a link.

The other locations of this topic are:

Technet

MrExcel Power BI

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks, MarcelBeug.

Didn't know here about a rule for cross-posting in this forum. I'm being adding the links everywhere I've seen it is required and I always keep updated every post I create. You can see that everywhere.

I think that some momentos ago, I kind of understood what was happening. It was hard to see as there were at least 2 issues mixed:

• Firstly, some birthdates are wrong. I could not get any help in internet on how to replace in PowerQuery just years so I decided to convert the field into text.
  • Secondly, I didn't know that the date table doesn't work with time (hours and minutes) so it wasn't matching the PK to any field in the data model. I decided then to transform every date/time format into just date format.

Thanks, everybody for your support and patience. This issues were driving me crazy. Unfortunately, I didn't get all the answers but at least I came up with something that works for me.

Best,

Gerónimo

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

The first officially supported date by DAX is March 1, 1900

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.