Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

The ability to wrap text in visual titles

I find it frustrating that you cannot wrap the text in titles for visuals. I have created an idea located here to try and get some traction on this issue: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15815914-ability-to-wrap-text-in-...

Please see the example below of what it could look like as it looks much cleaner, has anyone else thought about this?

Image1.pngImage2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

This feature has been released as of the February 2019 desktop update: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2019-feature-summary/

Thanks to all who voted for the idea and for the PBI team for implementing this.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
shakthimaan
Employee
Employee

"Title wrap" is now possible.

But we now have same problem for the "Legend's Title". 

jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

This feature has been released as of the February 2019 desktop update: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-2019-feature-summary/

Thanks to all who voted for the idea and for the PBI team for implementing this.

michalj

This should by sorted by now. You cant even warp text on Treemap!

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Please create an idea here and vote for this feature to bring attention to this feature.

@v-viig, there is a link to the idea in my very first post.

v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Great. Keep voiting for this idea.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Shrap09
Frequent Visitor

This is getting ridiculous. Hope they will fix that soon.

SabineOussi
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

This should be solved now with February update!

I think it is only for Matrix column headers where text wrap has been implemented.

Check this
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-feature-summary/#fontSize

Changing the font size might temporarily solve your problem.

Thanks for the suggestion but I already had my title set to font size 8. That method could help other people though.

mikes2nd
Helper I
Helper I

Not a horrible idea but when does it end?  one line? two lines? 20 lines?  That is a resizable graphics box, its not a word plugin.

You are introducing the dreaded text bleed over issue... Resizing a ton of text in headers and footers is ridiculous and then when you print its always off.  All report writers dreaded this issue.

Think about mobile also. 

In your example I would simplify the wording.  "Percentage of items sold this month"

They don't need the words "What", "We" and "Have" do they?

Titles should be concise and to the point, no fluff.  Best practice...

Now I can see where you might have a full description that would require two lines but you already have the ability to control the

size and fonts/colors on the header.  But your avg report shouldnt need lines upon lines of text.

Are you seriously saying a feature should not be possible because a client may make a title too big so rather just cut it off and never allow it? While we're at it, let's not allow new users onto computers as they might crash them...

A bit of an extreme example but that is the worst reason for not allowing something in my mind. What's wrong with giving a Word Wrap option in the settings: Yes or No. I'm sitting now with a card and want a title of "Next Review Date" but it gives "Next Review ..."? The worst thing here is there actually is already a Word Wrap option but it does nothing so I've been looking for how to solve this.

Screenshot from 2017-01-20 07_13_51.png
(Look at all the unused white space...)

Of course with the need for word wrap I couldn't leave this thread without commenting so excuse the rant-ish post 🙂

Are you seriously saying a feature should not be possible because a client may make a title too big so rather just cut it off and never allow it? While we're at it, let not allow new users onto computers as they might crash them.

A bit of an extreme example but that is the worst reason for not allowing something in my mind. What's wrong with giving a Word Wrap option in the settings: Yes or No. I'm sitting now with a card and want a title of "Next Review Date" but it gives "Next Review ..."? The worst thing here is there actually is already a Word Wrap option but it does nothing so I've been looking for how to solve this.

Screenshot from 2017-01-20 07_13_51.png
Of course with the need for word wrap I couldn't leave this thread without commenting so excuse the rant-ish post 🙂

enelva
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Would be a nice feature!

Has this feature for multi line headings been implemented yet or a work around found (except changing fot size)

No solution at the moment @MikeEcho

enelva
Frequent Visitor

I have the same

There would obviously need to be a limit of sorts, I'm not sure what that would be.

Our clients decide on the titles, so they cannot be condensed further, hence the issue.

It's always interesting to get other peoples take on issues.

oh hah ouch the client...  that is no fun but explain to them they should be concise and/or make the report bigger.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.