Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AusSam74
Frequent Visitor

The ability to use Direct Query and Import in the same report

Hi, I hope someone can provide me advice on this.............

Am I able to use 2 or more different datasets via both Direct Query and also using DX ( SQL ) import at the same time??

At the moment when I try to add another source using SQL command and creating a new view, it states that:

"The data source you are trying to connect to is different than the existing DirectQuery data source. To continue, all queries must be switched to Import mode, which may result in a large amount of data being loaded"

I don't want to switch to Import mode, as the database is very big in my first dataset.... but what I would like is to use both DQ and Import Mode.... this might not be possible! If not how do I get around this??

Any help appreciated.

Samir.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AusSam74 You can't mix connection types. The only option as I see it would be to either reduce the data set to only the required information (if you haven't already) in order to use import. Otherwise you may want to pursue looking at Analysis Services to combine the datasets and be able to scale to meet your needs.

A different option, if AS is off the table would be to stage your data from both locations to a SQL Database that serves the reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@AusSam74 You can't mix connection types. The only option as I see it would be to either reduce the data set to only the required information (if you haven't already) in order to use import. Otherwise you may want to pursue looking at Analysis Services to combine the datasets and be able to scale to meet your needs.

A different option, if AS is off the table would be to stage your data from both locations to a SQL Database that serves the reports.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

when you say "You can't mix connection types", it confuses me because My power Bi report (Version: 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November 2018))  was created on Direct Query Mode. i am able to GET Data using both Direct Query and Import Mode for different set of tables.  i havent used mix connection types before, not sure how this works in terms of data refresh?

Thanks a lot in advance

This is a relatively new development that allows you to use both Direct Query and Import in the same report. Since your initial request was made prior to the upgrade, the responses you received were accurate at the time. However, since you are using the latest version of Power BI, you can see from the link below that using both is no longer an issue.

https://www.jamesserra.com/archive/2018/07/power-bi-new-feature-composite-models/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick response. the link you provided is great, explains about the new features of Power BI which is just excellent. however when the report is published onto the Service, how does the refresh schedule work for tables on direct query mode? because in previous versions, for projects on direct query mode, we had the option of scheduling direct query refresh (cache refresh). my current report has tables with mixed mode, and published onto Power BI service, i can see the option to schedule a refresh but nothing around direct query refresh.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.