Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CmdrKeene
Helper IV
Helper IV

The Gateway Update Failed

I'm trying to install the On-Premises Data Gateway.  After choosing the type and installation folder, it shows a progress bar for a few moments before ending here:

The on-premises data gateway update has failed.

Please review the error logs, fix the errors, and then try installing again.
learn more

CmdrKeene
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@CmdrKeene,

Sorry the service name is different on yours.

In your screenshot, towards the top, there is a service "On-premises data gateway service". Currently, you have the "Log In As" is set to something like "NT Service..." (which usually refers to a virtual account), try changing it to "Local System" and restart the service.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @CmdrKeene,

Make sure the system you are installing the gateway on has all of the requirements specified here.

Also, did the error logs provide any insight into where/what the issue may be? If you could provide them, it might help.

Alan

I definitely meet the requirements to run it.  I tried uninstalling it (and the personal gateway also) completely.  Then I re-installed it, and it seemed to go smoothly until the point where you name your gateway and choose a recovery key.

Now it says this following. Note I'm a local-administrator on this Windows 7 computer and I'm not using a temporary profile.  No idea why it thinks I am.  My profile loaded fine when I logged in.

Error generating an asymmetric key.
The profile for the user is a temporary profile.

Server stack trace:
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.GenerateAsymmetricKey()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.GenerateAsymmetricKey()An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException: The profile for the user is a temporary profile.

at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.CreateProvHandle(CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer)
at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.GetKeyPairHelper(CspAlgorithmType keyType, CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer, Int32 dwKeySize, SafeProvHandle& safeProvHandle, SafeKeyHandle& safeKeyHandle)
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.GetKeyPair()
at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider..ctor(Int32 dwKeySize, CspParameters parameters, Boolean useDefaultKeySize)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.CommonUtilities.AsymmetricKeyEncryptionHelper.ProduceAsymmetricKey(String containerName)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.ExecuteInActivity[T](PipelineActivityType pipelineActivityType, Func`1 action)
at SyncInvokeGenerateAsymmetricKey(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

CmdrKeene

@CmdrKeene

Try this:

1. Use RUN to open services.msc

2. Search  "Power BI Gateway - Enterprise Service" in list of services, and click

3. Change the "Log On As" tab to "Local System Account"

4. Restart "Power BI Gateway" Service

I'm afraid that service name doesn't appear in my services.msc list, even though the gateway says it's installed.

Here's two screenshots of what I'm facing: 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Am9yPJnkxhMo2N4mVnD7kpr6LXUWBQ

CmdrKeene

@CmdrKeene,

Sorry the service name is different on yours.

In your screenshot, towards the top, there is a service "On-premises data gateway service". Currently, you have the "Log In As" is set to something like "NT Service..." (which usually refers to a virtual account), try changing it to "Local System" and restart the service.

Thanks, that did the trick and let me finish setting it up.

CmdrKeene

Can I install both the on-prem gateway AND the personal gateway on the same always-on computer?

CmdrKeene

@CmdrKeene,

You should be able to connect from any computer to your data source from the Enterprise data gateway. The personal gateway is only needed if you don't have the enterprise one installed and want to connect directly to the data source. Also, the personal gateway uses a lot of memory, so I would not recommend running both on the same machine.

Alan

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.