Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Day I Been Dreading

I knew this day would come:  I have a source file (Excel) that I get every week and load to Power BI.  Two new columns have been added to this file, and will be included in all files going forward.  I need these columns for reporting.  How do I successfully refresh this file and bring the new columns into my reporting?

Thank you,

7 REPLIES 7
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Select the whole data range in the file and make it a table (ctrl + t). Reference this table in the import phase in PQ  (you can create a new query to import the table and then copy the relevant M Code and substitute the corresponding M code in the original query)

By importing a table from Excel, any rows or columns added will be included in the import phase in PQ

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Paul.

This is a file that I will upload weekly or daily.  I  don't want to be touching it everytime I want to refresh.  Is there another way?

How is the Excel file created? Would saving it as a csv file be an option?

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving as a CSV is not an option because I have 6 months worth of daily files that exist in .xls format and they would all need to be converted. 

Or you can create a new query to import the new files (saved to a different folder) and then append them in Power Query, no?

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a newbie, so I don't know how to do this, let alone the easiest way...

I take it you know how to create a new query to import files from a folder, right? (or how are you importing the data to PBI at the moment?)
If so:

Go into Power Query and:
1)  make sure that both imported tables have the same names for the (old) columns.

2) Select the old table, select "Combine" under the Home ribbon, and then select the option "Append Queries"/ Append into new query

3) Select the new table from the "Second table" dropdwon box

4) load and give the new table a new name

5) optionally, you can right-click on both the original tables and disable "load" from the options. The tables will not then be loaded into the model.

Appending tables.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.