Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

romgut
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thank you Power BI team for the easy data model change

This is just to say THANK YOU to the MS Power BI team!

I am in a middle of a project at this moment where I am redoing one existing Desktop pbix file that is used as a dataset for several report files. The current solution is taking the data from txt files stored on sharepoint. I am exchanging those files now with direct tables connection in the DWH. There are 4 fact tables and 2 dimension tables that need to be changed.

On top there are >50 measures, followed by 40 report pages, etc., so I really don't want to touch those. Ideally, I would only change the source tables.

This is why I am writing this thank you letter - because it's so easy to change the source without breaking the entire solution! For instance, I connected the DWH table, made sure that the fields have the same names and then simply deleted the previous table and renamed the DWH connected table to the name of the previous table - et voila - all measueres work, no #source error messages or whatever - this is great! Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @romgut,

I think the template and query parameters feature will also suitable for your stairs, normally it works to keep the raw report design and switch between different data sources. (notice, you need to double-check on the data source to confirm they are work with the same structures or they will return an error for the cached query steps not match with the records from the changed data source structures)

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates 

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev  

Also, thanks for sharing the usage scenario of power bi features.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @romgut,

I think the template and query parameters feature will also suitable for your stairs, normally it works to keep the raw report design and switch between different data sources. (notice, you need to double-check on the data source to confirm they are work with the same structures or they will return an error for the cached query steps not match with the records from the changed data source structures)

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates 

Using the Power BI Service Parameters to change connection strings (To possibly change between Dev  

Also, thanks for sharing the usage scenario of power bi features.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.