Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WildOlive
Frequent Visitor

Text Search PPC Search Term Search Query

Hi All,

Thank you in advance for assistance/insights/etc.

Issue: What is the best way to "automatically/dynamically" "roll up/summarize/unify/group/aggregate" 100,000+ rows of data to "roll up" terms?
Background: I'm a marketer who works in Pay Per Click (PPC), who is starting their Power BI journey and wants to learn how to review and roll up terms to review performance to enable data-driven decisions. I've also been going through a Udemy PowerBI course and have learned a lot. I have yet to learn a solution for my issue.

I combed through several posts and didn't see a solution... I found something similar that only returns for one term... "Text Search" (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Text-Search/m-p/665714#M320171) which returns a Yes/No in a separate column. This won't help because I have several terms to dynamically 'roll-up'.

See the tables below for context that help illustrate my challenge:

Best, Michael

Table0 "Table.Column Descriptions" for the following tables that provide context to my issue.

(Col.0.1) Table(Col.0.2) Columns(Col.0.3) Notes
Table0This Table--
Table1(Col.1.1)Contains terms which may be whole or partial words and may contain spelling discrepancies
Table1(Col.1.1)May contain partial words in 'find/match' to misspellings
Table1(Col.1.1)The number of words to match to the roll-up depends on the Col.2 character count.
Table1 In some research I've seen this type of table called a:
* Transition Table (Where Col.1would labeled "From" & Col.2 would be labeled "To"
* Bridge Table (I don't believe Col.s need special names)
Table1(Col.1.2)Contains the "roll-up" terms that I would like to "group/unify/aggregate"
Table1(Col.1.2)I would like to see a summary of metrics based on these words
Table1(Col.1.2)I would like to be able to search a data table through Col.1 'word iterations' and return Col. Summary words to enable summarized metrics
Table2(Col.2.1)A subset from 100,000+ term and metric dataset
Table3(Col.3.1)Example of roll-up table
Table4(Col.4.1)Expansion of roll-up row that shows un-rolled up raw data (This table looks similar to an Excel pivot table. I understand table presentation may be different in PowerBI. Color is used to illustrate the difference between roll-up data and raw data.)
Table5(Col.5.1)Solutions, I found online and implemented with limited success
Table5(Col.5.2)Implementation
Table5(Col.5.3)Result

Table1

(Col.1)(Col.1.2)
abrasivesabrasives
abrasabrasives
sivesabrasives
rasivabrasives
brasiabrasives
asiveabrasives
 + additional terms all at the same time
discdisc
iscdisc
beltbelt
eltbelt

Table2

(Col.2.1) Example data terms(Col.2.2) Impressions(Col.2.3) Clicks(Col.2.4) Cost(Col.2.5) Revenue
abrasives 1235051.2515
abras 1x25092.2520
sives belt7571.7550
rasiv disc2561.5025
brasi paper10082.0010
asive flapdisc7520.5075

Table3

(Col.3.1) Ability to roll up/unify data(Col.3.2) Impressions(Col.3.3) Clicks(Col.3.4) Cost(Col.3.5) Revenue
Abrasives375379.25195
Disc***** $#  $### 
Belt***** $#  $### 
etc.***** $#  $### 

Table4

(Col.4.1) Ability to roll up/unify data(Col.4.2) Impressions(Col.4.3) Clicks(Col.4.4) Cost(Col.4.5) Revenue
Abrasives375379.25195
abrasives 1235051.2515
abras 1x25092.2520
sives belt7571.7550
rasiv disc2561.5025
brasi paper10082.0010
asive flapdisc7520.5075
Disc***** $#  $### 
Belt***** $#  $### 
etc.***** $#  $### 

Table5

(Col.5.1) Solution(Col.5.2) Implementation(Col.5.3) Result
IsFiltered is a "New Measure" (I found this example, but don't really understand what it is doing).IsFiltered =
IF(
    SUMX( 'tMatch',     
        Search(
            'tMatch'[Match] ,   
            MAX( 'st'[Search term]),,0 )) > 0
            ,"True"
            ,"False")
I was able to use Filter where each row (Table1, Col.1) had a checkbox. I would like to review a 'rolled up' table of (Table1, Col.1.2) terms instead of having to make multiple selections from (Table1, Col.1) in order to see a 'roll-up'.
Edit Queries > Merge QueryI've tried combinations of "fuzzy" merge, unchecked "Ignore case", and "Transition table" with columns titled "From" and "To".I typically manage to get errors. A text error directed me to set the Transition Table column types to text, but still had errors.
vlookup tableRelational tablesIt wouldn't match right. I’m unsure why. This is why I made this post to seek advice/insight/direction/next steps/etc.
"manual ngram" strategysplit terms by space for review
Then also grouped terms 1&2, 2&3, 3&4, etc. looking for themes

numerous other troubleshooting attemptsI'm learning PowerBI, and am working to learn more.Still looking

1 REPLY 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.