Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

k_mathana
Helper II
Helper II

Text Categorization based on multiple Keywords

Hi

I need to your kind help to categorize the sentence based on two or more keywords, Please refer the below reference . In Table 2 I can maintain the keyword and category.

Table 1

Table1.PNG

Table 2

Table2.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello @k_mathana

You can try Approximate Merge in the Power Query Editor to add a Category column in Table1.

First, we combine the column (Keyword1 and Keyword2) into Table2. Select two columns, right-click, and select the join column.

1.png

Then combine approximately Table1 and Table2 by description and merged column. Click with the fuzzy merge option. Set Similar threshold to 0.3 and Maximum number of matches, 1 to Approximate match options.

2.png

Expand category in table2

Result:

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Categorizing text based on multiple keywords

Best regards

Rico Zhou

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

View solution in original post

Hi @k_mathana 

You can try to build a calculated column by dax. However I think there may be something wrong in the screenshot Table2 you shared with us. In table1 we see Clean the Filter(keyword1=clean , keyword2 = filter), category = Filter Cleaning, but in Table2 if keyword1= clean , keyword2 = filter we can see Category = Filter Replacement. So I update Table 2.

Firstly, we need to transform Table2. Duplicate keyword1 and keyword2 and merge columns (keyword1 * keyword2 , again keyword2.1 * keyword1.1)

Result:

2.png

Then build a calculated column as below.

Category = 
VAR _Description = 'Table 1 (2)'[Description]
VAR _Result1 =
    MAXX (
        'Table 2 (2)',
        VAR _Keyword1 = 'Table 2 (2)'[M.Keyword1]
        VAR _Category = 'Table 2 (2)'[Category]
        VAR _Search =
            SEARCH ( _Keyword1, _Description, 1, 0 )
        RETURN
            IF ( _Search <> 0, _Category)
    )
VAR _Result2 =
    MAXX (
        'Table 2 (2)',
        VAR _Keyword2 = 'Table 2 (2)'[M.Keyword2]
        VAR _Search =
            SEARCH ( _Keyword2, _Description, 1, 0 )
        RETURN
    )
RETURN
    IF(ISBLANK(_Result1),_Result2,_Result1)

Result is as below.

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Multi-keyword-based text categorization

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@k_mathana 

Try the following formula. Add a new column

Column = 
SWITCH( TRUE(),
SEARCH( "filter", Table[Description],,0) <> 0 , "Filter",
SEARCH( "oil", Table[Description],,0) <> 0 , "Oil",
BLANK()
)

Hi, Thanks for the reply. but Its not only about the lowercase and Upppercase. In table 2 I can maintain the keywords based on that In table 1 it should categorize as per the table 2 keywords.

Hello @k_mathana

You can try Approximate Merge in the Power Query Editor to add a Category column in Table1.

First, we combine the column (Keyword1 and Keyword2) into Table2. Select two columns, right-click, and select the join column.

1.png

Then combine approximately Table1 and Table2 by description and merged column. Click with the fuzzy merge option. Set Similar threshold to 0.3 and Maximum number of matches, 1 to Approximate match options.

2.png

Expand category in table2

Result:

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Categorizing text based on multiple keywords

Best regards

Rico Zhou

If this post helps,then consider Accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster.

@RicoZhou Thank you, I have tried this before, few Issues I have faced in this solution. Any way thank you so much for your kind response.

Hi @k_mathana 

You can try to build a calculated column by dax. However I think there may be something wrong in the screenshot Table2 you shared with us. In table1 we see Clean the Filter(keyword1=clean , keyword2 = filter), category = Filter Cleaning, but in Table2 if keyword1= clean , keyword2 = filter we can see Category = Filter Replacement. So I update Table 2.

Firstly, we need to transform Table2. Duplicate keyword1 and keyword2 and merge columns (keyword1 * keyword2 , again keyword2.1 * keyword1.1)

Result:

2.png

Then build a calculated column as below.

Category = 
VAR _Description = 'Table 1 (2)'[Description]
VAR _Result1 =
    MAXX (
        'Table 2 (2)',
        VAR _Keyword1 = 'Table 2 (2)'[M.Keyword1]
        VAR _Search =
            SEARCH ( _Keyword1, _Description, 1, 0 )
        RETURN
    )
VAR _Result2 =
    MAXX (
        'Table 2 (2)',
        VAR _Keyword2 = 'Table 2 (2)'[M.Keyword2]
        VAR _Search =
            SEARCH ( _Keyword2, _Description, 1, 0 )
        RETURN
    )
RETURN
    IF(ISBLANK(_Result1),_Result2,_Result1)

Result is as below.

3.png

You can download the pbix file from this link: Multi-keyword-based text categorization

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Dear @v-rzhou-msft , Thats the exact solution I am looking for. Thank you so much for your time and the fantastic solution. Thats worked great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.